Timeline of Trinity College of Music

1872                                                                                                                                      

Bonavia Hunt, Fellow of Royal Society of Edinburgh and author of A Concise History of Music and Sir Frederick A. Gore Ousley, Professor of Music Oxford University, establish the Church Choral Society and College of Church Music, London which was established for the purpose of Teaching, Practicing and Testing later to become Trinity College of Music.

1873 

Public examinations for choirmasters and teachers of music held four times a year

1875                                                                                                                                         

Trinity College London incorporated under Companies Act 1862 consisting of two divisions, Academic and Choral

1876                                                                                                                                             

Lease acquired for 61 Weymouth Street, St Marylebone. Teaching became an all-day activity with examinations twice a year. Trinity's LTCL held prestige over the B.Mus of Oxford or Cambridge. Music Degrees established with London University and a Faculty of Music Examination Centres established in major cities around the UK

1879                                                                                                                         

Examinations administered in 200 local centres throughout the UK

1880                                                                                                                                           

Trinity College of Music transfers to 13 Mandeville Place, with 41 professors and lecturers

1881                                                                                                                    

Examination centres open in South Africa, India, Ceylon and Australia

1902

Trinity College of Music establishes Saturday courses for children from London County Council schools. Trinity establish Chair of Music at London University with permission from the King to be called 'The King Edward VII Professorship of Music'

1904

Trinity College London changes its name to Trinity College of Music London

1906

Saturday Junior Department opened called Junior Trinity and is the first Conservatoire Junior Saturday School in the UK

1913                                                                                                                                          

The College had 355 students and 32,987 candidates presented themselves for Trinity College of Music diplomas and certificates

1921                                                                                                                                      

Trinity College of Music registers 53,180 examinations

1922

Architect J.O. Cheadle consolidates 11 and 13 Mandeville Place

1970                                                                                                                                               

Sir Yehudi Menuhin becomes President of Trinity College of Music

1981

Change of name from Trinity College of Music London Limited to Trinity College of Music London

1983

Board approved draft of Deed for Trinity College of Music Trust which would be the 'vehicle' to receive any legacies or donations and ensure their legal separation from the College Funds

1984                                                                                                                                        

TCM Trust established and first gifts received

1989                                                                                                                          

Trinity College of Music Trust to consider the establishment of a separate trading company in which to acquire the College's interests and to manage all activities other than the Senior Tuition and Junior Tuition

1992  

A separate company, limited by guarantee and registered as a charity, Trinity College London Ltd (TCL), is established

1993

Separation of the Examinations business (TCL) from Trinity College of Music

1994    

BMus (TCM) validated by University of Westminster for a period of five years

1998

Memorandum of Agreement with University of Sussex as affiliated institution is agreed. MMus in Performance Studies successfully validated for period of five years

1999                                                                                                                        

Memorandum of Collaboration with University of Westminster as affiliated institution agreed and BMus (TCM) renamed BMus (Hons) (Performance)

2001

Relocation of Trinity College of Music from Mandeville Place in Marylebone to Old Royal Naval College, Greenwich. Jerwood Library of the Performing Arts formed, with inclusion of Mander and Mitchenson Theatre Collection.

2002

Institution re-recognised by University of Sussex as affiliated institution. MMus in Performance Studies successfully revalidated for a period of five years.

2003                                                                                                

Acquisition of Blackheath Halls concert venue. BA (Hons) Music (Performance and Teaching Studies) suspended and not revalidated at the end of its validation period

2004                                                                                          

Conservatoires UK formed with Principals of UK conservatoires (initially BC, LCM, RCM, RNCM, RSAMD, RWCMD and TCM only) serving as Directors of company limited by guarantee. TCM agreed to Memorandum of Association with Conservatoires UK to assist in creation of CUKAS online application service.

2005

Merger with Laban to become Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance   ('Trinity College of Music' name retained for College of Music and 'Laban' for Dance). Revised Memorandum and Articles of Association for Trinity Laban approved by Privy Council and Charity Commission. PGCE Secondary 'Musicians in Education' commenced, in collaboration with and also validated by the University of Greenwich.

2006                                                                                                        

TCM re-recognised by University of Westminster as affiliated institution and Memorandum of Collaboration with University of Westminster renegotiated and agreed. BMus (Hons) Performance successfully revalidated by University of Westminster for period of five years. Introduction of Indian Classical music pathway through BMus (Hons) Performance by University of Westminster, validated for period of four years. Memorandum of Collaboration with Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, UK Centre and University of Westminster negotiated and agreed.  MMus in Performance / Composition / Creative Practice successfully validated by University of Westminster for period of three years.

2007                                                                                                                                    

Trinity College of Music affiliation with University of Sussex lapses and MMus in Performance Studies phased out.  FdA in Musical Theatre: Performance in collaboration successfully validated by University of Westminster for period of three years.

 

2012

The two departments, previously Trinity College of Music (for music) and Laban (for dance) become the Faculty of Music and Faculty of Dance at Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance.

Subscribe to our Mailing List

Stay up-to-date with performances and activities happening at Trinity Laban.

Subscribe now