Other Funding Opportunities


A useful place to try is the local library and/or town hall in whichever part of the UK you originate from. If it is difficult for you to visit in person ask a relative or friend if they could ask on your behalf, or telephone/email your local library or town-hall for information. Local charities often tend to give out much smaller pots of money than big charities, however many have very specific criteria meaning that only someone from your village or school is eligible. That way your chances of success are much higher.


You may find that one or your parents works for a company which operates a bursary scheme for the children of their employees. 


Embassies will usually have a list of bursaries open to their nationals who wish to study abroad.

Organising a fund-raising concert

You could consider taking matters into your own hands by organising a fund-raising concert in your home town, perhaps in a church, community centre or your old school. Advertise in your local supermarket, on the community notice board, and with flyers posted through doors of those that live nearby or might have an interest in supporting you. Invite your local newspaper to review the concert, or take photographs.

If it is inappropriate to ask that all the profits be put towards your education, ask a local charity if they'd like to combine with you on the event. Choose an organisation that you also have an affiliation with, and whose members/supporters are likely to come out in force to support, and donate half of the proceeds to them.  If you have any contacts within a Round Table or Lions club in the area where you grew up, you could find out about whether they would support you in raising money towards a nominted charity.  You could also make enquiries about whether they can support you directly with funding.

Sometimes the publicity associated with this kind of event alone can draw your situation to the attention of a generous private benefactor - allow for the possibility that some people might want to give more than simply the price of their tickets, so organise a raffle or simply provide envelopes for additional donations at the door. Make sure you also include contact details so that someone could get back in touch with you in future, to give you a further donation or invite you to give a concert for them.

It is sometimes the case that donations can only be given from a charity directly to another charity and not an individual. If a charity shows an interest in you and this is the case, remember that their donation can be made directly to, for example, Trinity Laban, as long as it is accompanied by a letter explicitly noting that it is for the benefit of your education.

Professional and Career Development Loans

Professional and Career Development Loans are bank loans that have to be paid back. You start repaying the loan (plus interest at a reduced rate) 1 month after leaving your course.  The government pays the interest while you study and for 1 month after you leave your course. After this time, you start repaying the loan and interest.  You have to repay your loan even if you don't complete the course.You can borrow an amount between £300 and £10,000 to help you fund up to two years of learning (or up to three years if the course includes a year of work experience).  You should apply 3 months before your course starts to give the bank enough time to process your application.  To apply you must be 18 or over and have been living in the UK for at least 3 years before your course starts.  You can't get Professional and Career Development Loans for first full-time degrees.

Click here for more information about Professional and Career Development Loans.

Related links

Back to top >>

Subscribe to our Mailing List

Stay up-to-date with performances and activities happening at Trinity Laban.

Subscribe now