International students: What to bring

You will pass through Immigration Control when you arrive in the UK. Important items that you should carry in your hand luggage to show to the Immigration Officer include your passport and a copy of your CAS statement if you need a visa. Read the essential information below for more information on what to carry with you and what to pack.

Arriving at Immigration Control in the UK

At your port of entry to the United Kingdom you must pass through Immigration Control. You must be able to show the Immigration Officer your official documents to be able to enter the UK legally.

 Carry in your hand luggage:

  • Your passport or national identity card
  • Your money
  • Insurance documents
  • Any prescribed medicines you are taking and a letter from your doctor in English explaining what they are
  • Address and travel instructions for your final destination
  • Contact details for Trinity Laban

Check banned and restricted items and luggage weight and size regulations with your airline before you travel. 

If you are not an EU/EEA or Swiss student, you must also carry in your hand luggage: 

  • A copy of your 'Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies' CAS/letter from TL confirming your place on the course
  • Evidence that you can support yourself financially during your course (bank statements, banker's draft, letter of sponsorship etc.)
  • Details of your accommodation (such as halls of residence confirmation, tenancy agreement or temporary address if you have not yet arranged permanent accommodation)
  • copy of your tuberculosis chest x-ray report and vaccination reports if required (see International students: Health) 

Expect the Immigration Officer to ask you some questions about the purpose of your visit to the UK, even if you already have a visa/entry clearance. This is to check that you are a genuine student. It is important that you answer any questions calmly and politely.

What to pack

  • Informal clothes (students in the UK generally dress informally on campus)
  • Formal clothes for a special occasion
  • National dress if practical for international student events
  • Photocopies of important documents e.g. your passport
  • Passport size photos
  • Plug adapter/converter. UK voltage is 240v. You can buy adapters in the UK but it's a good idea to bring at least one with you for when you first arrive
  • A warm coat and sweater in case it's cold when you arrive


You will have to pass through Customs at the airport. Check what you can and cannot bring to the UK. If you're travelling from outside the EU, for example, you can't bring any meat or dairy products into the UK. If you're not sure visit this website to check the regulations:

HM Revenue and Customs

Travel insurance

Buy travel insurance for your journey to the UK and for about a week after arrival. This means that you are protected in the case that your luggage is lost or damaged. You can often purchase travel insurance through a high street chemist, travel agent or the internet. Speak to your home institution or well travelled family and friends for guidance.







Subscribe to our Mailing List

Stay up-to-date with performances and activities happening at Trinity Laban.

Subscribe now