- How can I use the library?
- What can I borrow and for how long?
- Are there library fines?
- Are there any items that can't be taken out of the library?
- What is reference use of the library?
- How do I renew my books remotely?
- How do I make photocopies? How can I print from the computers?
- Where can I get help with references?
- The library doesn't have a book (or other item) I need to use. What do I do now?
- Where can I get help in finding resources?
- How can I find out what is in the archive?
- How can I see archive items I want to look at?
When you first come in, you need to go to the Service Desk with your Trinity Laban ID card and we will check/enter your details on the library system so you can borrow items. You will always need to bring your ID card with you: this is the only way you can borrow books, and deposit money on the card for any printing from the computers, or for making photocopies.
TL students: BA1, BA2 and CPD
|TL students: BA3 & OYPs||TL students: M-levels||TL students: Research degree|
|CDs, DVDs & videos||5||5||10||10|
Books can be renewed up to 5 times remotely, provided they have not been reserved by another student or member of staff.
|DVDs & videos||
1 day only for use within the library.
DVDs/videos can be taken out of the library for class presentations.
Many of our DVDs/videos are available on our video streaming site accessible on-site using your TL password and username
A maximum of 2 days and 1 night, and over the weekend. It needs to be booked ahead of time at the Laban Library issue desk.
Equipment can only be borrowed by TL students taking dance modules.
Only 2 of any kind of equipment can be borrowed at any one time.
The full AV/IT borrowing policy can be found on Moodle.
If books or other items are not returned by their due date, the following fines will apply:
|Item||Fine per day|
|CD, DVD and video||50p|
Journals, theses, cuttings and DVDS are only available for use within the library. There is a small collection of reference-only books such as dictionaries and encyclopaedias. In addition any books which have been placed on the "Tutorshelf" by course tutors cannot be borrowed and are for reference-only use.
In addition to full service hours the Library is open for
reference use only on:
Sundays, 10.30-14.30 during term time
Saturdays and Sundays, 10.30-14.30 during vacation
During these times, you can use the books, journals, clippings, computers, internet, OPACs, printers/photocopiers in the library. You cannot borrow resources. This means you will not be able to use the Library's DVDs, videos or CDs, or borrow books or equipment like laptops and data projectors. If you need any equipment over the weekend, please borrow it on the preceding Friday.
Access to the Archive is not available at these times.
Books can be renewed up to 5 times unless they have been reserved by another student/staff. You can renew your books by logging into your library account by:
- Going to the library catalogue homepage and clicking on 'Login' in the top-right hand corner of the page.
- Log in with your usual username (e.g. Angelina.B12) and library password. If you are logging in for the first time the default password is 'laban'. Once you login for the first time you can change your password to something more unique.
- Once you have logged in, go to 'My portal' on the left-hand side of the page.
- Click on 'My loans' where you can check which books you have out. Select which books you wish to renew and press 'Renew', or simply 'Renew all'. Books become renewable 2 days before their due date.
If you have any issues you can also renew your books by calling the library, emailing us or by popping into the library.
- You need to put credit on your ID card. This is done using the coin op machine by the basic student PCs, and then you use the card to access the photocopier or PC/printer.
- You will need to log on to the printer/photocopiers the first time you use them but then swiping your ID card against the reader on the side of the machine will log you straight in.
- You need to ensure that you have enough credit on your card for the printing/copying you need to do.
- It can take up to 15 mins. for any additional funds to be added to your account. You will find it useful to keep a balance in your account at all times. Any unspent credit will be refunded to you at the end of your course.
- Material can be copied for study purposes within the limits of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 and our Copyright Licensing Agency licence.
- Charges per page are 6p (A4) and 12p (A3). Colour prints are 40p (A4) and 80p (A3) per page.
The library produces online referencing guidelines, which can be accessed via the Laban Library & Archive Referencing section on Moodle. You will need your TL username and password to access this. If you cannot find advice on your particular referencing query, please ask a member of staff for help.
We endeavour to have all items on dance course reading lists available at Laban Library. There will however be a book or a journal you will want to use during your time studying at Trinity Laban which the library will not have access to. In such cases there are a number of options for accessing these items.
|Other libraries||Access information|
|Jerwood Library (Faculty of Music)||Dance students also have borrowing rights at Jerwood Library. Click here for more information on the collections and resources available.|
|British Library St. Pancras Reading Rooms||All students who can provide evidence of their need to use the collections, can use the the Reading Rooms for reference purposes. Access information can be found here.|
|City University Libraries||All students on programmes validated by City University can use the University's libraries. City University ID cards are issued to students at the beginning of their course, which enables them to borrow books from the university libraries. TL students also have access to the web-based bibliographic databases.|
|Goldsmith's College Library||All students and staff can use Goldsmith's College Library, which is about a mile away, for reference purposes. Access information is available here. Students on the MA and research degree programmes can apply for borrowing facilities at Goldsmiths. Please speak to a member of Laban Library staff for further details.|
|Roehampton University Library||
The library at Roehampton is open to external users, but access is for reference only. External membership is also available for a fee. This library may also be useful to MSc Dance Science students as the University runs a number of sports science courses and therefore has relevant library resources.
Laban librarians can also help identify and liaise with other libraries to arrange reference access, should the need arise.
|Inter-library loans (ILL)||Laban Library offers an inter-library loan service for students, whereby for a fee of £2.50 we apply to other libraries to borrow books or journal articles you might need. Please come to the issue desk to fill out an ILL request form if you wish to use this service.|
Students can log into Moodle using their usual username/password to access a range of library and archive-produced guides for finding resources in the Library -- Guides -- Finding Aids section. Click here to access.
Make a note of the reference numbers of items you want to see and contact the Archivist by email at [email protected] to book an appointment.