Erasmus+ Outgoing Students

Trinity Laban sends students to its partner conservatoires throughout Europe as part of the Erasmus+ programme every year. It is a fantastic opportunity to broaden your musical horizons and experience different teaching methods, as well as discover a whole new culture.

Student Testimonial

"Going to Berlin on Erasmus gave me an insight into how the dance scene works in other parts of the world, and I think that’s going to be really important for me."

Becky O'Brien, BA (Hons) Contemporary Dance

Part One: How to Apply for an Erasmus+ Exchange

What is Erasmus+?

Erasmus+ is the European Union's flagship educational exchange programme for Higher Education students, teachers, and institutions. The programme was introduced with the aim of increasing student mobility within Europe. Erasmus+ forms part of the EU Lifelong Learning Programme (2014-2020).

It encourages student and staff mobility for study and promotes cooperation between universities across Europe.

Erasmus+ has developed beyond an educational programme - it has acquired the status of a social and cultural phenomenon. It gives many European university students their first chance to live and thrive abroad. Over two and a half million students have benefited from Erasmus+ since its introduction in 1987.

Who is eligible?

  • You must be enrolled in your second year of undergraduate higher education studies (Music) or your first year undergraduate higher education studies (Dance).
  • A bilateral agreement should be in place between Trinity Laban and the conservatoire of your choice.
  • Your study exchange must be for a maximum of 3 months.
  • You must have achieved an average of 60% in all performance elements of Professional Studies (Music) or be in good academic and performance standing (Dance).
  • You must have a very good record of attendance and punctuality in ensembles and classes.
  • You must have completed all assessments for the current year at the time of application and will not be trailing and/or redeeming credits as a result of poor performance (unless mitigating circumstances apply).
  • You must complete the application process in full by the given deadlines.

Where can I go?

In order to qualify for Erasmus+, you must take part in an Erasmus+ exchange with a university with which Trinity Laban has an agreement. You can find a comprehensive list of our partners on Moodle. If you are interested in an institution that is part of the Erasmus network but does not appear on this list, please let us know and we will approach them to see if they would be happy to accept an application from us.

Language Policy

Before you apply, please take the time to seriously consider your ability in the native language of the country you wish to visit. Those students who are unable to demonstrate good/fluent ability are recommended to apply only to those institutions where the courses are predominantly taught in English.

For those students who successfully apply to countries whose languages are less widely spoken, we advise applying for the Erasmus Intensive Language Courses (EILC).

For those students who wish to develop their language skills prior to exchange (for countries not eligible for EILC), we recommend attending intensive summer courses at the following institutions:

How do I apply for Erasmus+?

If you decide to proceed with your application, you will need to:

  1. look at our list of Erasmus partners (available on Moodle) and decide which institutions you would like to apply to. We do not recommend applying to more than three institutions. Please make sure you have carried out some research into the institution(s) you are interested in going to and look into the type of programme they can offer you as well as any deadlines they have for applications. Each host institution has different deadlines for the submission of exchange applications and it is vital that your application arrives in time. Also check any language requirements.
  2. discuss the possibility of exchange with your Head of Department and/or principal study teacher.
  3. fill in an internal application form and submit to the King Charles Court Registry by 16.00h on 20 January 2017. (Late Applications will not be considered under any circumstances).

  4. Applicants will then be shortlisted for interview by an internal academic panel. Be prepared to discuss your reasons for wanting to do an Erasmus+ Exchange and also why you wish to go to your particular chosen institutions.
  5. Those students who are successful in the internal selection process will be invited to officially apply to their chosen institutions. Please note that an official application does not guarantee a successful placement.
  6. You will then need to create the recorded/portfolio audition for your application. This will vary depending on your artistic discipline, please see below for guidelines:

    If you are a musician you should prepare a recording of your playing. This should include 2-3 contrasting pieces (approximately 20 minutes worth). If you do not have an appropriate recording, then we will book some time in the recording studio for you to prepare one for your application.

    If you are a composer you should prepare a portfolio of 2-3 pieces. If you have recordings include these; if not just provide the scores.

    If you are a dancer you should prepare recording of your work (approximately 15 minutes worth).

    It is particularly important that your  recording be of good quality and be ready to send off with your application, so start thinking about the pieces you intend to record as soon as possible. Some deadlines can be as early as 1 March, so it is worth being organised!  It's also worth noting that some institutions require materials to be submitted online.

Once your application has been prepared, bring all the documents to Admissions and we will send all the relevant information to your nominated institution(s) where your application(s) will be considered.

After we have submitted your application, there may be a considerable wait until you find out whether you have been accepted. The wait will vary in each institution. Some are able to let us know in the Spring or early Summer terms and others not until June or even July.

How do I give myself the best chance of being selected?

If you are applying for Erasmus+, bear in mind that some destinations are particularly popular, not only with Trinity Laban students, but others from all over Europe, making them more competitive to obtain a place.

Don't let this put you off applying to your ideal destination! However, we would strongly advise that you consider applying to a range of institutions.  Remember that less well-known conservatoires can have fantastic departments in certain specialist areas, e.g. historical performance, and this can be a great opportunity to explore a country you have never visited before, so do your research and be tactical.

Part Two: Information for Successful Applicants

What Do I Do First?

In the first instance you will need to officially accept your offer by informing us in Registry. We will contact your host institution and ask for further direction. It is likely they will require some form of pre-registration, though this depends entirely on your host institution, some require online registration, others simply require an email acceptance.

What if I have been accepted at more than one of my choices?

You will need to make a decision fairly quickly about which one you would prefer to go to. This is entirely up to you. As soon as you know, inform Admissions and we will inform your other choices that you do not wish to accept their offers.

Is there any paperwork I need to fill out?

In order to prove to the Erasmus+ Council that you have completed your exchange period we will need the following from you before you go on exchange:

  • Signed Erasmus Student Contract
  • Grant form with bank details
  • Signed Learning Agreement

Please ensure you fill these out as soon as possible following your acceptance and return them to admissions. These are essential documents that will allow us to process your grant payment efficiently.

Once you have returned from exchange you will need to provide the following:

  • Final Student Report
  • Transcript (Host institution to produce)
  • Completion of Exchange Certificate

All of these forms will be available from Moodle, with the exception of the Transcript which will be provided by your host institution. Please ensure you return the completed forms to the Registry as soon as possible after the completion of your exchange.

Will my Erasmus+ Exchange Transcript be officially recognised as part of my Degree Programme?

All signed-off and successfully completed activities within Learning Agreements are awarded the agreed ECTS credit allocation once confirmation has been formally received from the Host Institution. The credit is formally endorsed by the Assessment Board chaired by City University and this is fully taken into account when issuing awards.

Who arranges my travel?

You are responsible for making your own travel arrangements. As soon as the location of your study abroad period/work placement and dates of attendance have been confirmed, you should shop around for advice and quotes on available flights. For the cheapest fares it is often a good idea to avoid travelling at the weekend and to book well in advance.

What about accommodation?

Again, this will largely be your responsibility. Some institutions provide rooms in halls of residence and many will provide a welcome pack which will advise you on places/people to contact regarding accommodation options at your host institution.

Will I pay fees to my host institution?

No university fees (for tuition, registration, examinations, access to laboratory and library facilities, etc.) are paid to the host institution. Please note that if your host institution is providing accommodation for you, you will be required to pay any accommodation fees.

Will I pay fees to Trinity Laban?

Yes, you are liable for the full tuition fee at Trinity Laban. You should ensure that your loan is arranged or that you have paid your tuition fees prior to going on exchange.

What is the Erasmus+ Grant?

The Erasmus+ Grant is intended to be a contribution to the additional costs of your mobility, and is not a full maintenance grant. The size of the Erasmus grant varies from year to year. For example, the Erasmus Grant level for 2016-17 was between 280 Euros and 330 Euros per month, calculated by the total number of days you are on exchange for. The monthly rate varies between host countries, with participants receiving more money for countries where the estimated cost of living is higher.

The total Erasmus+ Grant is paid in one lump sum upon evidence of your enrolment at your host institution.

If you have requested the grant to be paid into a UK bank account, then the sterling amount will be calculated using the exchange rate that was in place when the University received the funds from the British Council.

Is there any more money available?

Yes, there is possibly more financial assistance available to you from SLC depending on your situation.

Travel Grants

Additional travel grants are available from SLC if you are studying abroad as part of your course. You can apply for a travel grant if you are studying a full-time higher education course and you are receiving student finance that depends on your household income, e.g. Maintenance Loan or Maintenance Grant. You must also be attending an overseas institution for at least 50% of any academic term.

The amount you can receive depends on your household income and covers reasonable costs incurred on travel expenses during an academic year.

Government Maintenance Support

Erasmus students are considered for grants and loans for living costs in the same way as when you are studying at Trinity Laban, based upon the standard eligibility criteria.

If you believe that you have been assessed incorrectly in your application for government maintenance support, then please contact your regional funding agency as soon as possible and explain your status as an Erasmus+ student.

Contact details for the regional funding agencies

Regional Funding Agency Telephone Number Website

How much money will I need for the time I am away?

This amount will vary from country to country. Ideally, you should do some research: work out how much it costs you to live in London per month and the answer is likely to be just below this figure.

Do I need a visa to go on exchange?

If you are an international student, you may require a visa to study in your host European country. Please check if you will need a visa as soon as possible. Visas can take some time to process and it is best to get your application going early.

Do I need insurance?

It is important to ensure that you have valid travel and health insurance for the duration of your stay in your host country.

You are strongly advised to apply for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). This replaced the E111 form a number of years ago. This entitles you to treatment for any condition during your period abroad. Information and application forms are available on the National Health Service website.

It is important to note that the coverage of the EHIC may not always be sufficient, especially in case of repatriation and specific medical intervention. Therefore, students should also consider taking out an additional private insurance policy.

When travelling abroad it is also recommended that you take out a private insurance policy to cover you for loss of instruments, personal possessions, and money; missed flights; luggage delays; etc.

The Third Year Abroad website also includes useful information regarding insurance.

What if I don't enjoy the exchange? Can I come home?

Being away from familiar faces and places, coming to terms with new people and customs, unfamiliar food and weather and different learning styles can all feel quite overwhelming. It is important to remember that this is just a temporary phase and also a perfectly normal reaction.

There are many things you can do to help yourself during this transition period. If you are going to a non-English speaking country, then try to learn some of the local language before you go. Look after yourself by eating good food - if it helps, seek out suppliers of food you may have been used to having at home. Talk to other international students - they will understand what you are experiencing. Learn about each other's culture. Do not be afraid to ask for help if things are difficult. Learning and teaching styles may be very different from those you are used to; if you are in doubt, ask your Professor or tutor to explain something to you.

If, after trying the above, you still wish to come home then please contact the [email protected] at Trinity Laban and we will be able to assist.


Erasmus co-funded logo