MA/MFA Creative Practice: Transdisciplinary

A unique opportunity in the UK to build your own Dance Masters programme. Specialise in your areas of interest, experience a breadth of perspectives and develop your artistic excellence and creativity.

What is it?

The MA Creative Practice is a one year (full-time) or two year (part-time) taught programme, culminating in an independent research project.

The MFA Creative Practice is a two year full-time programme. It shares the first year taught programme with the MA. An extended independent project forms the second year, providing time for in-depth research and realisation of a substantial body of work.

We offer two routes of study through the MA and MFA:

  • Transdisciplinary
  • Dance Professional Practice

What is special about it?

The Transdisciplinary focus offers the opportunity to build your own dance Master's programme. With its open format and broad range of modules, you can specialise in areas of interest, develop your skills, and experience new insights through engagement in practice based research, including collaborative projects. Areas of study incorporate a diverse range of perspectives, including theoretical and philosophical underpinning of arts practice, visual and body-based art, film making, writing, and somatic practice. Modules are designed to be conversant with one another, supporting an interdisciplinary approach to the development and articulation of your individual practice through studio exploration supported by reflective and theoretical study.

For MA students, the year culminates in an independent project, allowing you to build on the ideas encountered in the taught programme and undertake self-directed research, experimentation and reflection.

The MFA Extended Project is an extensive, self-directed module during which you consolidate your independent creative practice. You will create and present a substantial body of work that evidences your capacity to research, develop, realise and identify appropriate modes of presentation for your ideas.

Who is it for?

The Transdisciplinary focus is ideal for recent graduates of dance, performing arts or humanities, and dance professionals who want to develop and promote their creative ‘voice’ within a safe and supportive environment.

MFA applicants should be able to demonstrate their capacity to undertake self-directed research and propose a project that warrants the depth and breadth that an extended time frame can afford. The choice between engaging in an MA or MFA programme of study will depend upon your prior experience and future aspirations.

What can I do next?

Graduates use their creative research to inform their practice in whichever professional setting they enter. Students have gone on to work as dance artists, performers, choreographers, visual/film artists, writers, and to teach in schools, colleges and universities. Alumni have had their work programmed in international festivals and performance platforms, and published research in peer-reviewed journals. View our alumni profiles.

Student Testimonial

“There is a vibrancy about London. It's very eclectic, and you meet people from different paths and different backgrounds - it's very international.”

Tonny Ajoup, MA Creative Practice: Transdisciplinary

How can I find out more?

Please contact Becka McFadden at [email protected].

  • MA Full-time: 11 months plus an independent research project (2 months)
  • MA Part-time: 22 months plus an independent research project (2 months)
  • MFA Full-time: 2 years (no part-time option)

Applicants are expected to have an appropriate first degree (or an equivalent qualification) or 5 years’ professional experience in a relevant discipline. Applicants without formal qualification are subject to the Institution’s Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) process. 

English Language requirements: IELTS Band 7 (General English Test) or above (or equivalents). Certificates will need to be provided in order for your application to be fully considered. If the panel feel that there is a lack of English Language proficiency or understanding of a subject area, then you may be asked to supply additional written material.

If you require a Tier 4 visa to study in the UK, please be aware of its English language requirements, as they may differ. Secure English Language Tests and levels can be found at In addition, meeting external requirements of UK Visas and Immigration is essential.

View all requirements on the Dance Applications page.

Research Degree Programme

PhD and MPhil research

Laban Library & Archive

As a student at Trinity Laban you have access to the UK’s largest open access specialist dance collection

Dance Events

Subscribe to our Mailing List

Stay up-to-date with performances and activities happening at Trinity Laban.

Subscribe now