- All Bowed Strings students, both postgraduate and undergraduate, receive Individual Tuition in their principal study instruments. All Prinicipal Study Professors also offer group tuition sessions, in which all their students study together in groups of no more than seven
- Every undergraduate student is additionally entitled to eight hours of Principal Study Enhancement (PSE) sessions throughout the year. You can choose:
- - Technical development with your Principal Study teacher
- - Viola for violinists
- - Period instrument lessons (eg Baroque Violin instruction)
- - Associated or complementary instrument instruction (eg Jazz violin). This can also include lessons on an instrument useful to your career such as piano
Weekly departmental classes offered in each Principal Study discipline cover a wide range of topics from orchestral excerpts, audition techniques, sight reading, improvisation and period performance practice, to teaching techniques and key business skills for musicians
Chamber music is at the heart of all the string training courses at Trinity Laban. All students take part in the vibrant, credit bearing programme, which includes weekly coaching from our own expert coaches, including our Richard Carne Junior Fellows, regular performance opportunities and competitions, and masterclasses and performances by our outstanding Quartets in Residence - the Wihan and Carducci Quartets - as well as by visiting artists such as the Kopelman Quartet, Quatuor Mosaiques and international coaches from Chamber Studio. Every second year, we are proud to host the Greenwich International String Quartet Festival, the largest and most exciting event of its kind in the world.
David Kenedy is the Strings Chamber Music Coordinator. He organises Strings chamber music and liaises with chamber music coordinators in other departments to develop mixed ensembles.
Trinity Laban benefits from regular visits from some of the world's leading musicians and artists who give their invaluable expertise on works from solo, recital and concerto repertoire. Recent visiting artists include:
Ivry Gitlis, Tasmin Little, Ernst Kovacic, Gyorgy Pauk, Gordan Nikolich, Stephanie Gonley, Walter Verdehr, Mateja Marinkovic
Roger Chase, Maxim Risanov, Garfield Jackson, Garth Knox, Martin Outram, Lawrence Power, Alexander Zemtsov
Alexander Ivashkin, Ralph Kirshbaum, Raphael Wallfisch, Martin Lovett, Leonid Gorokhov, Bernard Greenhouse
Alberto Bocini, Matthew McDonald, Enno Senft, Joel Quarrington, Dominic Seldis, Stefano Sciascia, Steve McManus