"As an analytical tool for observing, creating, performing and directing performance, choreological studies enables our students to evaluate their practice. It provides them with the means to develop and enhance their practice as well as facilitating integration of theory and practice as studio-based scholarship."
Rosemary Brandt, Year 1 Coordinator for Undergraduate Studies and Senior Lecturer in Choreological Studies
The Specialist Diploma: Choreological Studies: Contemporary Developments in Rudolf Laban's Principles and Practice is a vocational programme aimed at practising artists and educators working in the field of the performing arts. It is the only programme of its kind providing specialist study in the area of Choreological Studies with a focus on contemporary developments of Rudolf Laban’s praxis.
The programme runs over 3 years and is structured into 3 modules. Each year includes 2 intensive weeks of studio practice and delivery (normally in July and October) followed by 3 assessed assignments (2 practical assignments normally presented during one week in February; one written assignment normally submitted in May).
Each module of study will culminate with assessed assignments before the commencement of the next module. This pattern of study over three years allows you to enter the course in any one year of the three-year cycle.
You will be taught by a team of expert choreologists with diverse interests, experience and expertise. In an environment of intellectual inquiry, movement exploration, creative experimentation and analysis you will:
- engage in intensive studio-based practice and interrogation of Rudolf Laban’s movement theories and contemporary developments of these
- refine your movement observation skills and develop your movement literacy and communications skills
- Develop your physical articulation and performance skills
Participants are expected to pursue their own lines of enquiry through personal independent practice and research.
What Do I Need To Apply?
You will have prior knowledge of Laban Studies or Choreological Studies, or a practice-based BA (Hons) in movement or dance studies with a movement analysis component, or a Laban/Bartenieff Institute of Movement Studies (LIMS) qualification or equivalent professional experience.
In order to submit an application, please go to Decision Desk and create a profile. The following items should be uploaded to your profile in order for the panel to consider your application:
- A current C.V and copies of relevant qualifications
- A personal statement including your background in Choreological Studies and your reasons for why you wish to study on this programme
- A recent headshot (passport photos are fine)
- Details of any English language qualifications if English is not your first language
Find Out More
For enquiries, please contact: