Skip to main content

Can I visit the Jerwood Library in person even though I don’t study at Trinity Laban?

Yes, the research collections of the Jerwood Library of the Performing Arts are open to all those who are engaged in research of any type and the library is also open to alumni of Trinity Laban. Reference only access to library collections is provided.

External visitors must make an appointment in advance while alumni need to give a minimum 24 hours’ notice of visiting to both the library and reception teams. At present we can only receive visitors on weekdays.

Contact the Jerwood Library to make an appointment to access the collection and for details of requirements currently in place.

I’ve graduated from Trinity Laban. Can I still use the Jerwood Library?

Yes: Trinity Laban alumni are welcome to continue to use library materials on a reference only basis at the Jerwood Library after graduation. You must give a minimum 24 hours’ notice of visiting to both the library and reception teams.

You must make an appointment in advance if you wish to see an item from our special collections. You can also continue to use many of our online resources within the library, but will no longer be able to use them from home or elsewhere.

What about members of other colleges and universities?

If your institution is a member of SCONUL Access, you may be able to borrow a limited number of items from the library. SCONUL Access enables staff and postgraduate students to borrow from other higher education libraries within the scheme, and also allows undergraduate students to use other libraries for reference purposes. Register online for the SCONUL Access scheme in advance, then bring your institutional ID and a copy of your ‘SCONUL Access approved’ email when visiting us.

You must make an appointment in advance. Contact the Jerwood Library to make an appointment, with reference to our current opening hours. At present we can only receive visitors on weekdays.

If you have any questions about the Jerwood Library’s involvement in the scheme, contact Edith Speller, (020) 8305 4422.

May I borrow from the library?

Unless you are a current member of Trinity Laban or an eligible member of SCONUL Access (see above), you cannot borrow items from the Jerwood Library. However, if there is a specific item you wish to borrow, you may be able to do so through the Inter-Library Loan scheme. Please contact your local public or academic library for more information.

Can visitors access the library’s online subscriptions?

Visitors can access our online resources within the library as long as our licence for the resource(s) in question permits ‘walk-in access’. You can download or print material up to the usual copyright limits, but please note that charges apply for printing. If you would like to access an online subscription please request assistance from library staff who can log you in with a guest account. Visitors cannot access any of the library’s online subscriptions remotely i.e. from home or elsewhere.

How can I find out what’s in stock at the library?

Search Jerwood Library Search. Viewing the details of an item will confirm whether or not a copy is currently available.

Where else can I go to borrow music materials?

Your first port of call should be your local public library. You can usually obtain materials through your local public library and best results can be obtained by planning well ahead and giving the library plenty of notice of your requirement. Materials not in their stock can normally be obtained on inter-library loan for a small fee.

We particularly recommend joining the Barbican (City of London) and Westminster public libraries if you are based in London. These have extensive music library collections (books, scores and CDs) and also offer access to Naxos Music Library  and other specialist music online resources.

Most public libraries also offer access to online resources including Grove Music (Oxford Music Online), Encyclopaedia BritannicaOxford ReferenceDictionary of National BiographyOxford English Dictionaryonline newspaper archives, and many other resources.

How do I join my local public library?

Always check in advance what documentation you will need to have with you when you apply for membership (usually official documents which prove your address). Most libraries put this information on their websites along with their opening hours and other contact details.

My local library doesn’t have the materials I want, where else can I go?

If your public library is unable to obtain the materials you require, you could investigate getting a reader’s pass for the British Library, which is most likely to hold the scores and recordings you require, but remember access to these collections is for reference only. Remember too that, aside from books, scores and manuscripts, the British Library also holds newspapers, journals and sound recordings. Check the BL’s online catalogue to see what they have.

Other academic, special, and national library catalogues can be checked via Library Hub Discover and many of these libraries also welcome researchers to use their collections on a reference only basis or may charge modest subscriptions to allow borrowing.

Please speak to library staff if you would like any further guidance on sourcing materials.

What other online resources would you recommend?

We maintain an online list of recommended resources.

Particular sites we recommend include:

  • Cecilia, a guide to music collections in archives, libraries and museums in the UK and Ireland;
  • The National Archives; and
  • IMSLP, a virtual library of public domain music – however double-check the UK copyright status of pieces before printing and using scores.

You haven’t answered my question!

If your question isn’t answered here or elsewhere on the website, please contact us with your enquiry.