The Laban Building in Deptford Creekside, which houses the Faculty of Dance, is an architectural masterpiece sited within an area of urban renewal. Its state-of-the-art facilities include 13 dance studios, a 300-seat theatre, the largest open access specialist dance library collection in the UK, and a dance health suite.
Designed by Herzog & de Meuron – architects of Tate Modern and the Olympic Bird’s Nest Stadium in Beijing – it won the Stirling Prize for Architecture in 2003 and is the world’s largest purpose-built centre for contemporary dance.
The Faculty of Dance also benefits from a Performance Laboratory at Laurie Grove in New Cross, launched in 2013 in partnership with Greenwich Dance. Following extensive modernisation the Laboratory now provides emerging dance artists with the time, space and support to initiate, develop and rehearse innovatory dance projects.
King Charles Court, home to the Faculty of Music, forms part of the Maritime Greenwich World Heritage Site. In 2001, this historic building was transformed to provide outstanding music conservatoire facilities, creating over 100 practice and recital rooms, excellent music technology facilities including a recording studio and space for the award-winning Jerwood Library of the Performing Arts and its vast collection of musical scores, books and other materials.
Originally built in 1705, King Charles Court sits within the Old Royal Naval College complex, designed by Sir Christopher Wren in the Royal Borough of Greenwich. Its baroque façade has been used as a backdrop in numerous films shot in the grounds.
Trinity Laban’s nearby magnificent concert venue, Blackheath Concert Halls, was built in 1895 and is part of the oldest surviving purpose-built cultural complex in London. A Grade II listed building, it contains a 600-seat concert hall and a 160 seat recital room.