Skip to main content

This section contains information that may be useful to you in the first couple of weeks after your arrival in September. Here you will find advice on:

Arriving at the UK Border

When you arrive in the UK, the first thing you will need to do is make your way through the UK Border at the airport (or other border control point). The UKVI have provided some helpful tips that will assist you to get through the UK Border smoothly:

  1. Have your passport ready.
  2. Ensure you complete a landing card (if a non EEA National).
  3. Have your university Certificate of Acceptance Studies (CAS) number ready. If you don’t have a CAS number please brings details of your course of study.
  4. Keep any medical documentation, recent bank statement and details of where you are staying in your hand luggage, we may ask to see this information.
  5. Do not bring in any meat or dairy products from outside the EU.
  6. There are also restrictions on other food products such as fish, eggs and honey, as well as some fruit, vegetables and plants (e.g. bulbs, seeds, cut flowers and tree bark).
  7. There are also restrictions on the amount of tobacco, alcohol and gifts you can bring in the UK. If you exceed your duty-free allowance and do not declare them, all of your items could be taken away from you.
  8. Never bring in counterfeit goods, illegal drugs, offensive weapons or indecent or obscene material. Some items are restricted and will require a licence or permit.
  9. You must declare any sums of cash of €10,000 or more (or the equivalent in another currency) if you are travelling from a country outside the European Union.
  10. Never give false or misleading information (including forged or counterfeit documents).
  11. Once you’ve arrived you will need to collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) at the Post Office indicated in your letter within 10 days of your arrival. We can help you with this upon arrival if you have any concerns.

How to Get Here

Once you have passed through the UK Border you’ll want to get to Trinity Laban and begin settling in. London is one of the best-connected international cities in the world with a number of airports offering regular connections with International countries. If you are arriving in the UK from outside of Europe you will most likely be arriving at either Heathrow or Gatwick airport.

Transport for London provides some useful maps that will help you find your way around.

You can also plan your journey from your airport to Trinity Laban on the TfL website.

Check the Find Us section of our website to see how to get to our sites.


Travel in London

Once you have settled into life at Trinity Laban and you know your way around Greenwich, you will probably want to start exploring the rest of London. Below you’ll find some things that will help you get around one of the most exciting cities in the world.

Student Oyster Card

The first thing you will want to do is get your Student Oyster Card. You can apply online for this once you have officially registered at Trinity Laban during induction week. The Student Oyster Card provides large discounts on travel in and around London.

Check your eligibility and how to apply.

When you have applied for your Student Oyster Card we will be notified via an online portal and, as long as you have completed the registration process, we will approve your application. In order to complete your application you should select ‘Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance’ from the list of institutions. You will also be required to provide a student ID number.

Please note that your student ID number is the last six digits on your Student ID Card.

Once you have got your Student Oyster Card you will be able to save 30% on your travel expenses within London.


Transport for London

Transport for London provides up to date travel information on its website. There is also a useful journey planner which will help you find the fastest route to the various attractions that London has to offer.

To find out information and details about delays or disruptions to your journey, visit the Transport for London journey planner.


Travel Apps for Smart Phones

This free App will assist you in getting around London

London Bus Checker
This free App provides live up to date information on London’s buses.

Police Registration (no longer required)

Police Registration was abolished on 4 August 2022 and new international students are no longer required to register with the Police on arrival even if stated on their visa; current students do not need update their details.

Opening a Bank Account

We highly recommend opening a bank account with a banking company based in the UK while you are studying here. Having an account in the UK will save you money on fees and is much more convenient for everyday expenses.

What you should do before you leave home

  • Speak to your bank in your home country and ask their advice about running a bank account in the UK
  • Find out if your bank has a special relationship with a bank in the UK, which may make it easier to open a bank account in the UK
  • Find out if you can use a cash card from your home country bank in UK bank machines, to take money out of your account in your home country.

To open a UK bank account, you will need the following

  • Your Passport or national ID card
  • A letter from Trinity Laban stating: proof of the length of your course, your home address and your address in London. This letter is available upon request from the Registry department, please allow at least 3 working days for the completion of this letter. In order to request a letter please come into the Registry office in person and fill out a letter request form at the front desk.

Banks are usually open from 09.30h to 16.30h Monday to Friday. Some branches are open on Saturday mornings. You can change currency and cash travellers’ cheques at Bureau de Change offices which are open for longer. The vast majority of shops and services in the UK will accept payment in UK currency only. Credit cards are accepted in most places.

When you arrive in the UK, you should have a minimum of £100 in cash for your immediate needs (meals, train fares etc.). Avoid carrying large amounts of cash on you, and keep your valuable possessions with you at all times. Most banks will have internet and telephone banking available; this is an extremely useful way of keeping track of your finances. Please note that if you will be away for a long period of time, you must inform your bank as they may assume the account is ‘dormant’ and close it.

The Difference between Credit cards and Debit cards

Debit cards are used to pay for goods in shops and to withdraw money at cash machines. The money is automatically taken from your current account when you spend it, so you must have enough money in your account or an agreed overdraft to cover the transaction.

A credit card is not linked to your current account and is a credit facility that enables you to buy things immediately, up to a limit, and pay for them at a later date. The cost of the purchase is added to your credit card account and you get a statement every month. You then have a choice of paying off the bill in full by a set date with no interest or paying at least a minimum amount and spreading the repayments over a period of time. You’ll have to pay interest on the balance if you do this, therefore, the quicker you pay off your balance, the less interest you’ll pay.

Useful link

For further information about opening a UK bank account, please visit the UKCISA webiste.