Choosing private accommodation gives you the freedom to choose where you live, what facilities are important to you and how you want to spend your budget.

To find out about different housing options, house hunting tips, places to look and more, download our Housing Guide or pick up a copy from Student Services:

Housing Guide 2017/18


Letting Agents

Many landlords rent out their properties through letting agents. It can be useful to get in touch with a number of letting agents who can keep you up to date with available properties; letting agent websites are often out of date and don't show the latest offers, if you meet or speak to an agent they can inform you of properties that meet your requirements. There are a few things you should bear in mind when using such an agency:

It is illegal, under the Accommodation Agencies Act (1953), for an agency to charge you for registering with them or for supplying addresses of available accommodation, though they may charge a fee if they are instrumental in securing accommodation for you. This being the case, we suggest that you do not hand over any money (even if it is refundable), until you have found somewhere you are happy with. They are allowed to charge you for drawing up a tenancy agreement, but do check that you are not paying too much (don't forget to ask if VAT is included). Always get charges in writing before you commit to a property.

You can check the agency you are using are members of ARLA (The Association of Residential Letting Agents) or NALS (The National Approved Lettings Scheme). If they are, they will have met good practice requirements and have more accountability than other letting agents. Each of these organisations lists its member letting agencies on its website. From 1 October 2014, all letting agents have to be a member of a letting agent redress scheme. It's an offence if they don't sign up to a scheme.

We have compiled lists of letting agents in East and South East London and Property Search websites. We also have a printable agent list and checklist combined to download. Some of these agents will have a website, others advertise their available properties on a Property Search website; however, the telephone is still the most effective way to gain information on what is available.

Homestay/Host family accommodation

If searching for host family accommodation and/or short term lets, try Homestay London who works on behalf of London's top universities, language schools, and educational institutions to supply accommodation to both UK and international students. Visit the HFS London website.


Private Accommodation

Alex Iossifidis (Student Adviser, Faculty of Music & International Student Adviser)
Tel: +44 (0) 20 8305 4412

McMillan Halls of Residence

Jennifer Asare (Student Adviser, Faculty of Dance)
Tel: +44 (0) 20 8305 9342

While the information and advice offered on this page is to the best of our knowledge accurate and up-to-date, we hold no responsibility or liability for any errors, omissions or inaccuracy in the information provided. Nor do we hold any responsibility for the content of any external sites hyperlinked to from this page. It is your responsibility to know the law and your rights regarding renting a room or whole property of any kind - whether in University or College Halls of Residence, Private Halls of Residence, Solo Accommodation, Shared Housing, or Lodging - and to take responsibility for your own decisions and consequently any arrangements made between you and a landlord, agent or other tenants.