Welcome to the UK’s largest open-access specialist dance collection.
Laban Library offers the largest and most varied open-access specialist research collection on dance and related subjects in the UK, covering many aspects of dance in a variety of formats and languages.Catalogue
Collections and Resources
We have a vast amount of information on most aspects of dance, including ballet, contemporary dance, choreography, dance health and dance teaching. In addition, we have a growing collection of contextual material.
Quick links for students and staff
- Search the Laban Library catalogue to find physical items in the library, including books, journals, and video recordings. Log in with your Library user ID and PIN to renew and reserve books.
- Use our new online research tool QuickSearch to search Trinity Laban libraries' electronic subscriptions and recommended free online resources along with the Laban Library catalogue. IT login required.
- View course reading lists on the Laban Library catalogue.
- View class recordings, and student and professional performances on our video streaming site, available onsite and offsite. IT login required.
- The Laban Library and Archive Moodle pages contain further information about the library and guides to research and using the library's resources. IT login required.
- View our blog for news on the Laban Library and Archive. You can also follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
Laban Library opening times
|Summer opening hours: 7 July - 3 Sept 2018|
|Mon - Fri||10.00 - 18.00*|
|Sat, Sun||10.30 - 14.30**|
*Open 10.30-14.30 on Wed 8, Thurs 9, Fri 10 Aug & Tues 14 Aug
Weekdays: full service except no AV advice: Mon 6 – Fri 24 Aug
** Open for reference use: TL students & staff only - no loans or AV advice
CLOSED: 6-7 Aug, 13 Aug, 16 Aug, 27 Aug, 3 Sept & from 12.00 on 10 &17 July
|Summer opening hours: 4 - 23 Sept 2018|
|Mon, Fri||10.00 - 18.00|
|Tue, Wed & Thu||10.00 - 20.00*|
|Sat, Sun||10.30 - 14.30**|
*Reference use, 18.00 - 20.00h: TL students & staff - no loans or AV support
** Reference use: TL students & staff only - no loans or AV support
Limited use of photocopiers / printers during September inductions: 4 - 21 Sept.
On rare occasions, we may have to close due to unforeseen circumstances. Please call 020 8305 9333 for the latest information if you plan to visit.
The Laban Archive focuses on the history and development of Rudolf Laban the man, Laban the institution, and on the field of contemporary dance from its roots in European Dance Theatre Practice in the early twentieth century, via its American influences in the 1960s and 1970s, to its current contemporary artists. Whilst tying in with Laban's focus on contemporary dance, the contents reflect the wide influences and associations of the dance form and document both the creative processes and performances of Laban-influenced choreographers and dance practitioners. The Archive is available to current Trinity Laban students and staff only.