Skip to main content

It is important that you take care of your health while you are studying and training. Here are some resources to help you with this:

Non-urgent queries

For minor complaints, such as a sore throat, headache or sunburn, you might want to go your local pharmacy to get over-the-counter treatment without a prescription.

Alternatively, you can go to your local GP to get a prescription.

Non-emergency number

If you do not need urgent medical attention but you would like an immediate answer to your medical query, you can call 111 from any phone. It is a free phone line operated by the National Health Service (NHS), that operates 24/7 365 days a year. Trained healthcare professionals can assess your symptoms and direct you to the appropriate medical care.

Doctors/GP Services

Your doctor/GP can provide advice and treatment for the following:

  • minor illnesses and injuries, including infections and rashes, stomachaches, vomitting, diarrhoea, hay fever, insect and animal bites
  • new patient check-ups
  • contraceptive services
  • family planning advice
  • help with sexual health
  • travel health including immunisations
  • vaccinations
  • blood tests
  • test results
  • diabetic clinic
  • antenatal & postnatal care
  • women’s health
  • men’s health
  • mother and baby care
  • stop smoking service
  • asthma/chest clinic
  • help with drug and alcohol problems
  • minor surgery

Local GP services

The closest GP practices to our teaching sites are as follows:

Faculty of MusicBurney Street Pms, 48 Burney Street, Greenwich, London, SE10 8EX, Tel: 020 8858 0631 (0.3 miles)

Musical Theatre Department: Clifton Rise Family Practice, Waldron Health Centre – Suite 2, Amersham Vale, New Cross, London, SE14 6LD, Tel: 020 3049 3080 (0.4 miles)

The practice most local to the Faculty of Dance is Wallace Health Centre, Clarence Road, London, SE8 3BX, Tel: 020 8858 0631 (0.2 miles)

You can search for other GP services on the NHS website.


You are entitled to free prescriptions if you meet any of the following criteria:

  • you are under the age of 19 and studying full-time
  • you are pregnant
  • you have had a baby within the last 12 months

Otherwise, you will need to pay towards the cost of prescriptions.

Prescribed medicines and other medicines can be bought from pharmacies. In some cases, the medicine prescribed by the doctor may be available without a prescription from the pharmacy for less than the standard prescription charge, so always check first with the pharmacist.

Pharmacy Services

  • prescription services
  • medicine service
  • flu vaccinations
  • chlamydia/allergy screenings and treatment
  • health checks including: blood pressure, cholesterol or blood glucose testing
  • emergency contraception (free for 14-20 year olds via the NHS)
  • pregnancy testing
  • stop smoking services
  • treatment of minor ailments including: bugs and viruses, minor injuries, stomach problems, women’s/men’s health, skin conditions, allergies and children’s problems
  • health check
  • advice on minor ailments
  • a wide range of products including: bandages, tape, plasters, pain relief, over-the-counter painkillers, toiletries

For products such as bandages, tape, painkillers and toiletries, supermarkets provide cheaper alternatives to Pharmacies.

Emergency services

In the event of a life-threatening emergency, dial 999 immediately.

You can request an ambulance or simply make your way to the nearest Accident and Emergency Unit (A&E) at your local hospital.

Local A&Es

Nearby A&Es to our teaching sites include:

University Hospital Lewisham, Lewisham High Street, London, SE13 6LH, Tel: 020 8333 3000

King’s College Hospital, Denmark Hill, London, SE5 9RS, Tel: 020 3299 9000

You can find other A&Es on the NHS website.


You should have your teeth checked by a dentist at least once a year. You need to be registered with a doctor in order to qualify for NHS dental treatment, otherwise you will have to pay the full cost.

Check first whether the dentist accepts NHS patients, as some dentists will only take private (paying) patients. Once accepted, you will need to give the dentist the NHS number on your medical card. There is a charge for all dental treatment. Please be aware there are long waiting lists for treatment on the NHS, it is advisable to register as soon as you are enrolled as a student.

You can find your local NHS dentists online.

NHS Low Income Scheme

If you have a low income, it is possible to apply for financial help with NHS costs through the Low Income Scheme by completing a HC1 form.

The scheme covers:

Read more and order the HC1 form from the NHS Low Income Scheme pages.

Follow the following links for more information:

Sexual health (GUM) clinics

You can visit a sexual health clinic for the following:

  • Testing and treatment for for sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
  • Advice and information about sexual health
  • Free condoms
  • Contraception, including emergency contraception such as the morning-after pill
  • Pregnancy testing
  • HIV testing

Brook provides free advice for under 25s.

International students

If your course is 6 months or longer in duration, you will automatically qualify for free National Health Service (NHS) treatment, from the beginning of your stay.

However, some follow-up emergency treatment may not necessarily be free and so it is up to you to decide whether or not to take out separate health/medical insurance. If your course lasts shorter than 6 months, you are not automatically eligible for NHS treatment and so you are advised to take out separate health/medical insurance.

When you arrive at Trinity Laban, you should register with a doctor as soon as possible. Do not wait until you are ill. In order to register with a doctor you will need to present:

  • your passport;
  • evidence that you are a student, which you can obtain this from the Registry department once you have enrolled; and
  • proof of your UK address, which can be in the form of your tenancy agreement.

View a list of your local services or check the NHS Choices website.