British Association for Performing Arts Medicine (BAPAM) delivers specialist health support to performing artists through free assessment clinics, a directory of performing health practitioners and specialists, referrals to medical, surgical and therapeutic practitioners and a health education service.
Help Musicians UK is the UK's leading charity for professional musicians of all genres and at all stages of their careers. They provide advice for musicians on health; physical or psychological, well-being, injury prevention and financial support.
Musician's Hearing Services provide a range of services including; advice on hearing protection, on-site noise assessments and specialist technology for those affected by hearing loss.
British Voice Association (BVA) supports people with vocal problems. BVA provides information on vocal health, vocal conditions and provides an online directory of voice clinics in the UK.
Beat is the UK's only nationwide organisation supporting people affected by eating disorders, their family members and friends, and campaigning on their behalf. Beat provides helplines, online support and a network of UK-wide self-help groups to adults and young people in the UK beat their eating disorders.
Articles of interest
- Fit to Play publication by BAPAM
- The Acoustic Guitar publication by BAPAM
- Fit to Sing publication by BAPAM
- Stop Shredding Your Vocal Cords by Echoes blog
- 8 Ways to Improve Your Vocal Health by Echoes blog
- Training Musical Athletes - How to Stay Healthy by the New York Times newspaper
- Musician, Heal Thy Self by Peabody Magazine
- Sensible Eating for Performers publication by BAPAM
- Breathing publication by ISTD (the Imperial Society of Teachers of Dancing)
Injury Prevention & Injury Advice
- Preventing Musculoskeletal Injury for Musicians and Dancers publication by SHAPE (Safety & Health in Arts Production & Entertainment)
- Repetitive Strain Injuries by Echoes blog
- Risky Business publication by BAPAM
- Joint Hypermobility in Musicians publication by South West Music School
- Listen While You Work - Hearing Conservation for the Arts publication by SHAPE