This programme offers the opportunity to create an individually negotiated course to suit your personal development needs, and to provide a solid grounding for your future career in music.
You will be able to build a unique programme selected from our pre-higher education modules and from other college courses as appropriate. Use the outstanding resources of our dynamic and creative conservatoire environment to support your development as a classical performer or composer.
Full-time, 10 months (September to June)
We offer a separate Musical Theatre Pathway.
The Independent Study Programme (Foundation) will be reviewed in 2017, and a new programme will be available for entry in September 2018. Further information will be available on this website when any details have been confirmed.
Who is the programme for?
Many different candidates may find this pre-degree level programme to be suitable, for example: gap-year students preparing for entry to a conservatoire or university music faculty; those seeking to further develop their performing or composing skills before auditions or university interviews; those seeking to develop their artistic identity whilst enjoying London's vibrant cultural scene or seeking to improve their English; or those seeking to establish a more secure technique or sound before making decisions about further study.
What does the ISP Foundation programme offer?
- Principal study tuition at the same intensity and with the same teachers as our degree programmes
- An academic programme chosen from our pre-HE modules and from undergraduate modules if appropriate
- Solo performance opportunities and workshops, and chamber music where possible
- Department-specific classes, masterclasses and ensembles where appropriate
- Participation in CoLab, the college's ground-breaking two-week festival of mentored and student-led collaborative projects
- Alexander Technique classes
- Audition classes in term 1
- English language coaching as an alternative or in addition to academic modules
- One free sitting of an ATCL or other Trinity College London performance assessment
- Full access to college facilities - library, practice rooms, recording studio, keyboard lab, and student services
- Please see the ISP Foundation Brochure for further details.
What are the entrance requirements?
Trinity Laban places greater emphasis on its own audition and tests than on formal qualifications. As a guide, please keep in mind that the course is aimed at students who are considering entry to undergraduate study at conservatoire or university; we offer places to candidates who demonstrate the potential to reach that level within the year.
Please note that we do not offer the ISP Foundation in the Jazz Department.
ABRSM/Trinity Guildhall Grade 8 or equivalent would be the minimum expected level of entrance to the programme, although this is not a pre-requisite. We invite classical performance and composition students to apply. We offer a separate pathway for Musical Theatre.
International applicants should meet the minimum entry level for entry to UK under Tier 4 (IELTS Level 4 in all elements) and should have the appropriate visa.
All applicants should note that the Conservatoire will not consider applications for deferred entry.
How do I apply?
Apply online via UCAS Conservatoires, using UCAS Conservatoire Code T75 and UCAS Course Code 190F.
We accept applications for this programme throughout the year.
This programme is not eligible for support through the Student Loans Company.
Fees are identical for UK and International Students on this programme.