Independent Study Programme
This programme provides entry-level training in Musical Theatre. Offering you the opportunity to develop your skills and set individual development targets, it provides a solid grounding for your future career in Musical Theatre. Use the outstanding resources of our dynamic and creative conservatoire environment to support your development as a Musical Theatre artist.
Full-time, 10 months (September to June)
Who is the programme for?
The programme is designed for less experienced students and those who wish to develop their skills before pursuing additional vocational training. Many different candidates may find this pre-degree level programme to be suitable, for example: gap-year students preparing for entry to a conservatoire or university music faculty; those seeking to further develop their musical theatre skills before auditions; those wishing to consolidate their interest in musical theatre prior to university interviews; those seeking to develop their artistic identity whilst enjoying London's vibrant cultural scene; or those seeking to establish a more secure technique or sound before making decisions about further study.
What does the programme offer?
- Tuition at the same intensity and with the same teachers as our BA (Hons) Musical Theatre Performance degree programme
- The opportunity to develop your skills through intensive dance, singing, acting, and voice classes, as well as through individual singing lessons
- Dance classes in Ballet, Tap, Jazz, and Body Conditioning
- Ensemble singing classes, repertoire classes and Musical Theatre Voice (MTV) class
- Act-through-music classes, show choir and industry workshops
- Group rehearsal and performance project
- Participation in CoLab, the college's groundbreaking two-week festival of mentored and student-led collaborative projects
- Audition preparation classes, including mock auditions, in term 1
- One free sitting of a Trinity College London ATCL musical theatre assessment
- Full access to college facilities - library, practice rooms, recording studio, keyboard lab, and student services
Please see the ISP: Foundation (Musical Theatre Pathway) brochure (2017) for further details.
What are the Entrance Requirements?
Trinity Laban places greater emphasis on its own audition and tests than on formal qualifications. As a guide, please keep in mind that the programme is aimed at students who are considering entry to undergraduate study at a conservatoire or university; we offer places to candidates who demonstrate the potential to reach that level within the year.
International applicants should meet the minimum entry level for entry to UK under Tier 4 (IELTS Level 4 in all elements) and should have the appropriate visa.
All applicants should note that the Conservatoire will not consider applications for deferred entry.
How do I apply?
Apply online via UCAS Conservatoires, using UCAS Conservatoire Code T75 and UCAS Course Code 501F.
We accept applications for this programme throughout the year, and please do contact Admissions if you would like to discuss this programme further.
This programme is not eligible for support through the Student Loans Company.