Professorial Staff - Jazz
Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
Faculty of Music
King Charles Court
Old Royal Naval College
Tel: +44 (0)20 8305 4392
Email: [email protected]
Area of WorkProfessorial Staff (Jazz Piano), improvisation classes, research into teaching and learning of jazz improvisation.
Simon Purcell is one of Britain’s most accomplished contemporary jazz pianists. A graduate of Trinity College of Music in 1980, he has performed both as leader and sideman with amongst others - Red Rodney, Kenny Wheeler, Eddie Henderson, Stan Sulzmann, Jean Tousaint, Valerie Ponomarev, Dale Barlow, Gene Calderazzo, Julian Arguelles, Bobby Shew, Julian Siegel, Conrad Erwig, and Steve Williamson. A committed educationalist, Simon is the author of published educational research and as a highly respected teacher, many of Britain’s most accomplished jazz musicians are past students.
Qualifications/ Educational Background
- Trinity College of Music GTCL
- Goldsmiths College PGCE
- Trinity Laban - Head of Jazz Department, (appointed 2005).
- Professor of Jazz Improvisation and Piano, Teacher of Jazz Improvisation, combos.
- Guildhall School of Music & Drama - Professor of Jazz Improvisation and Piano, 1988 - 2005.
- Course Tutor, 1997 -2005. Co-Leader of Staff Development Research Project and Mentoring Scheme and for Music Studies teachers at GSMD, 1999 - 2001.
- Co-Director University of Glamorgan Summer School, Jazz Course (formerly Barry Summer School) 1987 - 2006.
- Teacher Research in the Conservatoire in The Reflective Conservatoire: Studies in Music Education, published Ashgate2005.
- Make Someone Happy (CD) with Liane Carroll - 2010
- Women Have Standards (CD) with Anita Wardell - 1993
- Green Chimneys (CD) with Cleveland Watkiss - 1991
- Higher Education advisor to National Youth Jazz Orchestra 2009 - ongoing
- University of Auckland (NZ) Music Faculty Review 2008
- External Examining: Leeds College of Music: 2005 - 2009; Middlesex University: Undergraduate Jazz Course 2000 - 2005; Birmingham Conservatoire: Undergraduate Jazz Course, 2000 - 2004.
- Goldsmiths College: Certificate in Jazz & Popular Music, 1995 -1997.
- Royal Academy of Music, Post Graduate Jazz Education modules, 2004.
- Consultant to Birmingham Conservatoire Undergraduate Jazz Course, 1999 - 2001
- Educational Director and Consultant National Youth Jazz Orchestra of Scotland, 2001 - 02.
Jazz Educationalist of the Year Award from the All Party Parliamentary Jazz Committee - 2006.