Studying Bassoon at Trinity Laban will allow you to combine rigorous technical training with the flexibility to develop as a creative individual. Our world-class teachers will inspire and support you as you develop as a musician and as a person, deepening your technical and musical understanding on your journey towards professional musicianship. Alongside intensive training, you will be encouraged to broaden your experience by collaborating with performers across the Conservatoire.
- Your generous allocation of individual Principal Study lessons will allow you to study with some of the best musicians in the world.
- Additional small group tuition and instrument-specific classes will enable you to further develop your skills.
- You may also elect to study a related, period, jazz or doubling instrument such as cor anglais, or another discipline to complement your specific interests.
- Weekly Departmental classes support your Principal Study and equip you for the diverse world of professional music-making. Classes cover a host of topics, including repertoire, technique, style, genre, performance, transposition, sight reading, recording studio techniques, doubling, period instruments and combating performance anxiety.
- You will be encouraged to utilise the diverse collaborative opportunities at your doorstep within the conservatoire environment, developing key ensemble skills through weekly chamber music classes.
- Our outstanding coaching will provide you with invaluable opportunities to hone your individual voice within a small group context.
Our masterclass programme is second to none, and gives you the chance to learn from leading artists, including principals from leading orchestras. Recent visitors include: Celia Craig and Rainer Gibbons, Principal Oboe of the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra.
You will have access to a wide range of performance opportunities, including solo recitals; chamber music; symphony orchestra; wind orchestra; opera orchestra; pit band; wind ensemble; mixed ensemble; Sinfonia.
There are also regular sideby-side projects in which students perform alongside professionals. Recent projects have worked with orchestras such as BBC Symphony Orchestra, Philharmonia Orchestra, BBC Concert Orchestra, Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra, and Welsh National Opera Orchestra.
Wind, Brass and Percussion students also have various opportunities to be involved in a wide range of unique events each term, which can encompass anything from an improvisation festival to formal performances at prestigious London venues. Recent venues that our students have performed at include The Old Royal Naval College Chapel, St Alphege’s Church, Southwark Cathedral, The Francis Crick Institute.
Find out more about Music Performance Opportunities.
Location and Facilities
Our truly magnificent location – the Old Royal Naval College in Greenwich – is the envy of the world. We are just a short journey from the centre of London, one of the leading musical centres of the world, yet situated within the “village” atmosphere of Greenwich, allowing for an escape from the busy city.
Our exceptional facilities include numerous well-equipped practice rooms, a suite of recital spaces, a recording studio, reed-making facility, an award-winning library and extensive IT equipment.