I have an enquiry about the Teaching Musician programme or application process. Who can I contact?

Please read the 2018 Programme Brochure and these FAQs. If your query isn’t answered, you can email us at [email protected]


Do I have to apply through UCAS Conservatoires?

Yes, we are only able to accept applications through UCAS Conservatoires. An application fee of £24 applies (payable when applying to UCAS Conservatoires).


What are the UCAS Conservatoire course codes I need to apply for the Teaching Musician programme?

The Teaching Musician programme sits under course code 500P. You will need to quote this code when submitting an application through UCAS Conservatoires.

Once you have decided which route you wish to take through the programme and your preferred duration, this should be included in your personal statement within the application form (see routes through the programme diagram below). You may be eligible for a postgraduate loan to help with programme fees if you wish to undertake the MA (please note that the PG Cert and Dip are not eligible for postgraduate loans). More information and eligibility.


What are the 2018 Programme Fees?

BLOCK A Certificate Modules (1 year)

Start date: 17 Feb 2018

End Date: 31 Jan 2019

BLOCK A FEE: £1,830

BLOCK A Certificate Modules Flexible

(2 years)

Start date: 17 Feb 2018

End Date: 31 Jan 2020

Annual Registration Fee: £75

Payment by module (5 Modules Total) at:

£410 (2018 price)

£420 (2019 price)

BLOCK B Contemporary Practice Modules (1 Year)

Start date: 17 Feb 2018

End Date: 31 Jan 2019

BLOCK B FEE: £1,830

Learning Mentor additional fee for 1-1 instrumental/vocal/composition lessons: £705

BLOCK C Personal Project Modules

(1 Year)

Start date: 17 Feb 2018

End Date: 31 Jan 2019

BLOCK C FEE: £1,595

PG Cert India

Start date: 17 Feb 2017.

End Date: 31 Jan 2019



Only available to students who have completed the Trinity Laban Summer Academy Teaching Course in India

Do fees have to be paid upfront?

For 1 year programmes: yes. When study is undertaken over a longer, 'flexible' period, payment is made per module in our online shop and an additional registration fee of £75 for each year will be due.


Does this programme offer Qualified Teaching Status (QTS)?

No, this programme does NOT offer QTS.

Trinity Laban currently offers a Secondary PGCE programme, leading to QTS, in collaboration with the University of Greenwich. To find out more please visit our Secondary PGCE: Musicians in Education page.


Does this programme offer Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)?

No, this programme does NOT offer FHEA for 2018.


Certificate, Diploma or full MA- Which should I choose?

Possible routes through the Teaching Musician (PG Cert / Dip / MA):



BLOCK A: Certificate Modules

BLOCK B: Contemporary Practice Modules

BLOCK C: Personal Project Modules

Please refer to the Programme Brochure for a full description of these blocks of study.


Do I have to do my selected modules in a particular order?

If you choose to enrol on the 1-year programme, you will be required to keep to the single-year training and assessment timetable. This is to ensure that you successfully acquire all the credits needed to complete the programme in a single year.

If you are enrolled onto the flexible programme option, no specified module route applies. You may take modules in any order and spread your module choices as you wish, although starting with Theory into Practice 1 is recommended.


Where can I do my placement?

The 20-credit Placement Module as part of Block A offers you the opportunity to diversify your practice and experience through working in an unfamiliar context. Your placement supervisor and Trinity Laban's Learning and Participation Department will support you in identifying an appropriate placement. Past students have enjoyed placements with organisations such as the London Symphony Orchestra, Drake Music Scotland, Gateway School of Mumbai (Special Needs), Sound and Music and Junior Trinity. Many other students have found placements with local schools and music hubs.


Can I pay my programme fees by instalment?

For 1-Year Programmes, unfortunately not. Those fees are significantly discounted, in order to make the programme as affordable as possible, but do require a single upfront payment in advance of enrolment.

However, the flexible Block A programme, while more expensive overall, allow for course fees to be paid by module, and therefore spread payment over the duration of the programme.


Are my programme fees refundable?

Tuition fees for The Teaching Musician PG Cert/Dip/MA are non-refundable. When students accept their place on the programme, they are committing to pay the fees in full, even if they decide to terminate their studies before completion. In the unlikely circumstance that Trinity Laban must change the dates of training weekends, students will be offered the opportunity to switch to alternative modules and may, where necessary, be allowed a longer period in which to complete the programme.

For flexible pathways, where modules are paid for in advance and students later find themselves unable to attend, fees may in some instances be carried forward to an alternative training weekend, at the discretion of Trinity Laban. This will only be possible where alternative places are available and where this will not disadvantage other students. For this reason, as much notice as possible should be given.


Can my employer pay my fees?

Yes. We offer a fee discount to employers who pay student fees and who either:

a) Subsidise course fees in full or in part


b) Pay fees for 3+ employees in one year

Employers who wish to take advantage of this offer should please contact us in advance of the application deadline with details of the staff they wish to support.

Whether or not your employer is passing on some or all of the cost of course fees to you (e.g. through payroll), we ask them to pay the full amount. It is not possible for us to invoice an employer for part of the fee, and the student for the rest.

For more information about Employer Discounts and how Trinity Laban works in partnership with employers please visit our Employers webpage or contact Kate Atkinson at [email protected].


If I apply but then cannot commit to the programme, can I defer my place for the year after?

Unfortunately, we do not offer deferrals for The Teaching Musician programme. This is because applicants are, normally, assessed according to their current teaching practice, which can change year to year. You would need to apply again and pay the fees set for the year you intend to study with us.


Where do the contact teaching weekends take place?

All of the contact teaching weekends take place at Trinity Laban's Faculty of Music in London. Our Faculty of Music is based at King Charles Court, Greenwich, and is part of the stunning Maritime Greenwich World Heritage Site, which also includes the historic town centre, Royal Park, and the Old Royal Naval College. See our Find Us webpage for transport details to the Music Faculty.


Do I have to attend all the contact teaching weekends?

The contact teaching weekends are an essential element of the PG Certificate programme (Block A) and attendance at both days, every weekend is compulsory if you wish to complete the module assessments. If you choose to complete the programme flexibly, you can choose to attend the weekends over the period of your study, for example if you are intending to complete the programme over two years, you may attend weekends one and three in year 1 and two and four in year 2.


What are the course weekend dates for 2018?

7-18 February 2018

BLOCK A (PGCert) Weekend One

7-10 April 2018

BLOCK B Contemporary Practice Easter Course

11 April 2018

BLOCK C Personal Project Modules Presentation & Teaching

2-3 June 2018

BLOCK A (PGCert) Weekend Two

21-22 July 2018

BLOCK A (PGCert) Weekend Three

27-28 October 2018

BLOCK A (PGCert) Weekend Four

5 January 2019

BLOCK B Contemporary Practice Viva Date

What times do typical weekend days run?

Our typical course weekend teaching days run between 9.00h and 17.30h each day.


How many people will be on the course with me?

Enrolment numbers will vary each year but we usually attract a cohort of between 20 and 30 students of different ages, backgrounds, musical specialisms and stages in their career.


Approximately how much time per week will I have to commit to studying?

This depends on both the duration of study and qualification you choose. As a rough guide, 10 credits = 100 hours of study. So if you were to take the PGCert (worth 60 credits) over 1 year you would do around 600 hours of study throughout the year.


What does the accreditation mean?

The Teaching Musician is accredited by Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance.

When a programme is accredited it means that it has gone through a robust validation and quality assurance procedure. The programme has been scrutinised by a range of professionals to ensure it adheres to institutional standards, will meet the needs of learners, and fits within the Qualifications and Credit Framework (QCF).

The QCF is a framework for England, Northern Ireland, and Wales, referenced to the European Qualifications Framework (EQF). The EQF is a meta framework intended as a reference so that qualifications are understood across member states.

The QCF/EQF categorises study at different levels starting at Entry, progressing through Degree and Masters, to Doctoral study at Level 8. The Teaching Musician is a Level 7 qualification. This means the content, assessments, and delivery are set at a postgraduate (or post-degree) level.


What additional support is on offer to Trinity Laban students?

Once you are enrolled on the programme, you will have access to our student support services and resources (with the exception of practice and rehearsal rooms unless taking instrumental lessons as part of Block B). These include our library and IT services, careers advice, health and disability support, counselling, and access to the student union. You will also have the opportunity to engage and take up a student placement with our Learning and Participation Music department, which run a range of different programmes, classes, and trainings in partnership with local schools, music hubs, and other organisations.  


Are there any scholarships or grants available for this programme?

If you wish to undertake the MA, you may be eligible for a postgraduate loan to help with programme fees. More information and eligibility.

Ex-service personnel may be eligible to use the MOD's Enhanced Learning Credits Scheme to support programme fees. Please contact [email protected] to find out more.

Please visit gov.uk to find out about Professional and Career Development Loans.

You may be eligible to apply to Arts Council England as part of their Grants for the Arts programme.

Another web page that may be useful is the Prince's Trust's page on other funding sources.