Professorial Staff - Violin, Historical Performance
Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
Faculty of Music
King Charles Court
Old Royal Naval College
Tel: +44 (0)20 8305 4444
Email: [email protected]
Born in England to Viennese parents, Walter Reiter graduated from the Royal Academy of Music in London and continued his studies in Israel with Rami Shevelov, a former Galamian assistant, and in Germany with Sandor Vegh and Michael Gaiser. Having studied towards a Master's Degree in Violin Pedagogy at the Jerusalem Academy of Music (with Felix Andreiewsky, former assistant of Prof. Yankelewitch in Moscow) he completed his studies with Piotr Bondarenko, who had been DavidOistrakh’s assistant in Moscow.
Walter Reiter is now internationally recognised as a leading Baroque violinist, teacher, leader and conductor. He is Professor of Baroque Violin in the Royal Conservatory of The Hague and at Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance,as well as Visiting Professor of Baroque Violin in the Institute of Superior Arts in Havana, His work in Cuba is sponsored by the Mozarteum Trust in Salzburg.Walter Reiter has made countless recordings with orchestras in Europe and the UK. A much traveled recitalist, he has recorded the Recreations of Leclair for Addes, France, and Sonatas by Mondonville for Meridian, a CD that was awarded the ‘Choc’label by the French CD magazine Diapason.
In 1999 he founded Cordaria, whose highly acclaimed solo CDs on the Signum label are of Vivaldi Violin Sonatas Op 2, the Biber Mystery Sonatas, and "Un alma innamorata", a collection of cantatas forvoice, violin obbligato and continuo.He has led and directed many baroque orchestras over the years and is a Principal of The English Concert, with whom he has toured and recorded extensively, frequently appearing as a soloist, and with the English Concert Chamber Group.Walter Reiter is currently working on a book of pedagogic interest for baroque violinists, "How to Play the Baroque Violin, an Annotated, Graded Course of Works for the Perplexed, Curious and Diligent."His Baroque Violin Etude books "Gradus ad Parnassum" are being published by International Music Publishers and a four volume"Baroque Violin Anthology" is being published by Schott. He has also written a novel, "Healing by Deceit."
Qualifications/ Educational Background
Walter Reiter graduated from the Royal Academy of Music and continued his studies under Ramy Shevelov in the University of Tel Aviv and Sandor Vegh in Germany.
Walter has taught at numerous prestigious institutions in the UK and abroad, including the Royal Academy of Music, the Royal Conservatoire of the Hague, the Institute of Superior Arts in Havana, and the Tel Aviv and Jerusalem Conservatories.
- Recreations of Leclair for Addes, France, Sonatas by Mondonville for Meridian
- Vivaldi Violin Sonatas Op 2 (with Cordaria) for Signum
- Biber Mystery Sonatas (with Cordaria) for Signum
- Un alma innamorata (with Cordaria) for Signum
- Forthcoming Chamber works by Telemann, Graupner and lesser German composers with Academia Daniel, for German label CPO.
- Forthcoming, "How to Play the Baroque Violin, an Annotated, Graded Course of Works for the Perplexed, Curious and Diligent"
- Forthcoming, "Healing by Deceit" (fiction)
- Baroque Violin Professor, Royal Academy of Music
- Visiting Professor of Baroque Violin, Institute of Superior Arts in Havana
- Guest Professor, Tel Aviv Conservatory
- Guest Professor, Royal Conservatory of The Hague
- 2003 Leader, Orchestra of the Sixteen