Dr Sophie Fuller
Programme Leader: MMus and MFA
Area of work
Programme Leader MMus, MFA and MA in MEP, Module Leader for Research Methods and Specialist Options, Component Leader for Personal Projects
Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance, Faculty of Music, King Charles Court, Old Royal Naval College, Greenwich, London, SE10 9JF
Email: [email protected]
Phone One: +44 (0)20 8305 4397
Sophie Fuller studied music at King’s College, London University and was a lecturer in music at the University of Reading. She is the author of The Pandora Guide to Women Composers : Britain and the United States, 1629-present (1994) and has co-edited a variety of essays around this topic. Sophie’s research interests include many different aspects of music, gender and sexuality but focus in particular on musical life in late 19th- and 20th-century Britain. Her most recent work in this area has been on creative women and exoticism in fin-de-siècle Britain and on the significance of the private musical world in the life and career of Edward Elgar. Other interests include song, together with its composers and singers – from Hildegard of Bingen through Maude Valérie White and Clara Butt to George Michael – and Russian music and music in Russia.
Qualifications / Educational Background
Sophie studied music at King's College, London University where she completed her doctoral thesis on 'Women Composers during the British Musical Renaissance, 1880-1918'.
Sophie's teaching experience includes ten years lecturing at the University of Reading.
- Author, The Pandora Guide to Women Composers : Britain and the United States, 1629-present (1994)
- Co-editor / contributor, Queer Episodes in Music and Modern Identity (2002) with Lloyd Whitesell
- Co-editor / contributor, The Idea of Music in Victorian Fiction (2004) and with Nicky Losseff
- Editorial Board Member, Twentieth-Century Music
- Contributor, The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians
- Contributor, The Oxford Companion to Music
- Contributor, The Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
- Contributor, Women Composers: Music through the Ages
- Contributor, Die Musik in Geschichte und Gegenwart
- She has been a frequent contributor to various television and radio programmes as well as giving conference papers in the UK, the USA, France, Germany, Italy and Australia.