"Our harp teachers care that each student reaches his or her potential. Whilst ensuring the highest standards of excellence in playing and performing, we also give students the tools to develop as individuals, encouraging them to be confident in their own ideas. We want our students to expres themselves both as artists and performers in the music industry, and to be open to bold ideas and to cross-genre collaboration."
Gabriella Dall' Olio, Head of Harp Studies
- All harp students, both postgraduate and undergraduate, receive Individual Tuition in their principal instrument and group tuition sessions, in which students from all years study together in groups of no more than seven
- Every undergraduate student is additionally entitled to eight hours of Principal Study Enhancement (PSE) sessions throughout the year. You can choose:
- - Technical development with your Principal Study teacher
- - Period instrument lessons
- - Associated or complementary instrument instruction. This can also include lessons on an instrument useful to your career such as piano
- Weekly departmental classes offered in each Principal Study discipline cover a wide range of topics from orchestral etiquette, audition preparation, sight reading, improvisation and period performance practice, to teaching techniques and key business skills for musicians
David Kenedy is the Strings Chamber Music Coordinator for all Strings and works together with Gabriella Dall'Olio to create an exciting Chamber Music programme for all harpists. Together they organise harp chamber music and liaise with chamber music coordinators in other departments to develop mixed ensembles.
The Harp Department benefits from regular visits from some of the most distinguished harpists in the world. Recent public masterclasses have been given by:
Xavier de Maistre, Marie-Pierre Langlamet, Isabelle Moretti, Fabrice Pierre, Elizabeth Fontan Binoche, Sivan Magen, Isabelle Perrin, Sylvain Blassel, Genevieve Letang, Letizia Belmondo, Hugh Webb, Sioned Williams.