How Can I Use The Library?
Our physical library is open to current students and staff only for:
- Use of pre-booked study spaces
- Collection of reserved books, loan returns and self-service book borrowing
- Basic enquiries (Mon – Fri)
During this Covid-19 period, we are unable to permit access to Alumni, members of other institutions and other visitors. Please note that access to our bookshelves is currently restricted. We offer Click & Collect service for books reserved in advance (Mon – Fri) that can be collected from the Laban Library’s Service Desk during our opening times. You will be asked to use self-service kiosk to borrow reserved books. New Click & Collect orders won’t be processed during weekends.
Study areas (including PCs) will have to be pre-booked in advance, using eQuip online booking system.
QuickSearch for Libraries is available 24/7. We are adding more e-books to the Dance library catalogue, which are becoming accessible as quickly as possible. You can access e-books via Moodle > Links menu > Library links > QuickSearch for Libraries. QuickSearch is about more than books, journals and their electronic equivalents. It includes collections of Dance videos, theses and much more.
AV Support is available Mon – Fri 8.00 – 18.00. Please press the bell at the library entrance to gain access between 8.00 and 11.00.
We are open for:
- Collection and return of equipment, which needs to be booked in advance via eQuip online booking system
- Basic enquiries (Mon-Fri)
Complex enquiries will be answered online (Mon – Fri) via Live Chat on AV Support Knowledgebase and by email.
Please remember to collect reserved equipment before 18.00.
What Services Are Available At Weekends?
You will be able to collect and borrow books reserved in advance (Mon – Fri), return your loans and use pre-booked study spaces.
AV Support and online enquiries are not available at weekends.
What Can I Borrow And For How Long?
As all returned books will have to remain in quarantine for 3 days, we have introduced a 7 days’ grace period from library fines but please remember to return your loans before their due date.
Books will be removed from your library account after their quarantine period. This will be followed by an automatic email notification sent to you to confirm their return on our library system.
You can find further information on our lending rules and loan periods under FAQs > Borrowing, renewing and reserving items.
Please note that DVDs, VHS tapes, CDs, theses and printed journals can only be accessed in the library, after making advance reservation by email.
AV equipment will have to be booked in advance using eQuip booking system. Equipment will then have to be collected and returned to the AV Support Team, based at the top of the library. This can be done between 8.00 and 18.00, Mon – Fri. Please note that you will need to press the bell at the library entrance for access between 8.00 and 11.00, as the library is normally closed at that time.
Are There Library Fines?
If books are not returned by their due date, the following fines will apply.
Fine per day:
- Book – 20p
- AV / IT equipment – £1
You can clear your fines by making a payment:
- Online. To pay for a fine, you need to “purchase” the multiples of £1.00 and £0.01 that will total the sum owed.
- In person. Please see a staff member at the Service Desk and note that we will only be able to process credit card payments; we won’t be accepting cash.
- Over the phone. Please call the library on 020 8305 9333
How Do I Renew My Books Remotely?
Book loans can be renewed up to 5 times, unless they have been reserved by another student or staff member. You can renew your books by logging into your library account:
- Go to the library catalogue’s homepage and click on Login in the top right-hand corner of the page
- Log in with your Moodle username and password (e.g. Angelina.B12)
- Once you have logged in, go to My portal on the left-hand side of the page
- Click on ‘Loans’ where you can check which books you have out. Select which books you wish to renew and press Renew, or simply Renew all button. Books become renewable 2 days before their due date.
How Do I Reserve A Book?
Both available and loaned books can be reserved in advance using Click & Collect service. The book’s status will be clearly indicated on the library catalogue by either a red cross next to the title, or the status of the book reading On loan. To reserve a book:
- Log in to your account on the library catalogue.
- Search for the book you wish to reserve and select it from the results list by clicking on the title.
- Click on Reserve button in the top right corner of the screen.
- Confirm the reservation by clicking on Save button in the top right corner of the screen.
- You can check the reservations section of your library account to see when copies of the book are due to be returned, as well as your position in the reservation queue. From here you can also cancel any unwanted reservations.
- You will receive an email notification once your reserved book is ready to be collected from the Service Desk in the library. We will keep your books on our reservations shelf for 7 days, before passing them on to the next person in the queue.
You will need to use our self-service kiosk to borrow books. Please remember to bring your student ID card to the library in order to complete the borrowing process.
How do I return books?
All books that you wish to return will have to be placed in a black wheeled box located by the library entrance.
As all returned books will have to remain in quarantine for 3 days, we have introduced a 7 days’ grace period for book returns but please remember to return your loans before their due date.
Books will be removed from your library account after their quarantine period. This will be followed by an automatic email notification sent to you to confirm their return on the library system.
How Do I Change My Password?
The Laban Library Catalogue is on Trinity Laban’s single sign-on system. Please use the same username and password as you use for Moodle.
You can change your password yourself on Moodle. Please log in with your TL username and current password. Go to Links Menu, then select Help and Change Password.
How Do I Create A List Of Library Resources And Email Them To Myself?
- Log in to your account on the library catalogue.
- Conduct your search (either on the Basic or on the Advanced search tabs).
- From the results list screen, select either all the results by clicking the Select All/Clear All box or individual ones by ticking the boxes next to the chosen entries.
- Click on the Add to my catalogue button on the top of the screen (It looks like a shopping trolley).
- Click on My catalogue (on the left of the screen) to view the resources you have saved in your trolley. Please note that the selected resources will be removed once you log out
- In order to email a summary of the selected results, click on the Select all/Clear All box and click on the email button at the top of the screen.
Where Can I Get Help With Referencing?
The library produces online referencing guidelines, which can be accessed via the Laban Library and Archive’s Referencing section on Moodle. You will need your TL username and password to access this. If you cannot find advice on your particular referencing query, please post it in the Referencing Discussion Group on Moodle or ask a member of staff for help.
The Library Doesn’t Have A Book (Or Other Item) I Need To Use. What Do I Do Now?
We endeavour to have all items on dance course reading lists available at Laban Library. There may however be a book or a journal you will want to use during your time studying at Trinity Laban, which the library will not have access to. In such cases, please contact Laban Library staff for advice.
Where Can I Get Help With Finding Resources?
Laban Library staff are available to assist you with basic enquiries in the physical library during our opening times. Remote online support is available Monday to Friday; you can contact us with complex enquiries by telephone 020 8305 9333. It is also possible to set up face-to-face meetings with Laban Library staff via Microsoft Teams. The links are displayed on the Laban Library catalogue’s home page and on our Moodle information page.
How can I borrow AV equipment?
AV equipment that you wish to borrow will have to be booked in advance via eQuip booking system. Equipment will then have to be collected and returned after use to the AV Support Team, based at the top of the library. This can be done between 8.00 and 18.00, Monday to Friday. Please note that you will need to press the bell at the library entrance for access between 8.00 and 11.00, as the library is normally closed at that time.
How can I book a study space?
We had to temporarily limit the number of study spaces available in the library to 24, due to Covid-19 restrictions. Your study space will include access to a PC but you will need to bring your own headphones. Go to eQuip booking system to make advance booking. Log in using your TL username and password, select Laban Library Study Tables tab, choose a relevant option from the drop down list, select a date and complete your booking (this process is very similar to booking AV equipment).
You can find further information on how to book a study space on AV Support Knowledgebase.
Please remember to clean both the study area and the keyboard before and after each use with the cleaning wipes provided in the library.
Photocopying and printing
We now have new printers in the library. You will be asked to clean your hands before using them and to wipe their surfaces afterwards, using the wipes provided in the library.
You will need your student ID card to use the printers.
Material can be copied for study purposes within the limits of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 and our Copyright Licensing Agency licence.
Use this Papercut link to top up or check your printing credit
The costs are:
- A4 (black and white) – 6p
- A4 (colour) – 40p
Any unspent credit will be refunded to you at the end of your course.
You Haven’t Answered My Question!
If your question isn’t answered here or elsewhere on the website, please contact us with your enquiry by emailing #email@example.com or calling +44 (0)20 8305 9333.