Skip to main content

Trinity Laban celebrates and values diversity in both its student population and staff. Student Services will provide support to our Trans and non-binary students to ensure they can be themselves while studying.

Trinity Laban have procedures in place to ensure the way a person self-identifies is respected and acknowledged. We encourage students to let us know if they identify as Trans or non-binary, at any stage of their journey, so we can provide support and signpost advice.

What do we mean by Trans?

We recognise that there can be differences between assigned sex, gender identity and expression. We will never discriminate against people on the grounds of gender identity, intersex conditions or any process of gender confirmation. The term ‘trans students’, can include students living with any of these identities while ‘gender identity’ covers both the fixed identity of people living in the gender of their birth and the more fluid identities of many trans people.

We understand some students may identify as non-binary or use multiple pronouns but do not align themselves with the word trans. Support is available to all students no matter how you identify.


Before You Apply


When applying through UCAS applicants are advised [by UCAS] to use their legal name. This is because:

– Successful applicants can use their UCAS offer letters or status codes to open student bank accounts

– If applicants have granted permission, UCAS may share data with student finance

You can add a preferred name which will be used by Trinity Laban when we get in touch with you. Please also select your preferred title.

If you change your name by deed poll, you can change your name on UCAS yourself by logging into your account and updating your details.


Applicants who are coming for an audition who want a name and pronoun to be used, which are different from the information submitted on your application, should get in touch with Student Services.

Unless you inform us otherwise, we will use the information provided to us via UCAS. Please inform us or update UCAS if there are any changes to your personal details, email address, name and address etc.

Before You Enroll

New Student Questionnaire 

Before students start on a course they are asked to complete the questionnaire below. The more information we receive, the better we are able to cater to the specific needs of our students. We want to provide support and information where it is needed. If you want to let us know you are Trans or more about how you identify you can here in the Support Questionnaire.

During your Study

Informing us you are Trans or Non-binary

It is up to the student to choose whether to disclose their gender identity and to whom. If you inform Student Services or another member of staff that you are Trans, the information will be treated confidentially. We only communicate information to staff with your consent.

Updating your Name and Pronouns 

You can change your name and pronouns on our internal systems with support from student services. Your (preferred) name can be on your email, student card, Moodle (online learning platform), student timetable and staff registers. This information can be updated at any point in your student journey.

The only time your “deadname” will need to be used or will appear on official documentation during study is when you access official forms or letters through registry e.g. council tax, withdrawal or programme transfers.

Next of kin 

We understand that not all students are ‘out’ and so we will keep a record of how you would like to be referred to if we contact your next of Kin. If anything changes, we can update our system at any point.

Graduation and Certificates

Formal documentation including your Degree Certificate and exam transcript will have your legal name on them. This is because your Degree is a legal document and needs to match official records.

If you legally change your name during study, you can let us know so your record can be updated to reflect the change.

Trans students who want documentation with their (preferred) name can request a Certificate of Attendance which they will receive alongside their Degree Certificate. If this is something you would like please get in touch with a Student Adviser.

Legal change of name

Changing your name formally can be an important part of your transition. It allows you to have your new name on all of your legal documents (excluding birth certificate).

If you are a UK citizen there are two main ways of changing your name formally – Deed Poll and Statutory Declaration.

More information about legally changing your name can be found on the Gendered Intelligence Website.

You can also apply to the Gender Recognition Panel for a Gender Recognition Certificate if you want your (acquired) gender to be legally recognised in the UK.

There are 3 different ways (‘routes’) to get a certificate – which one you use depends on your situation. More information and the application can be found on the Government website.

Rules on legally changing your name and gender marker differ between countries. If you are a non uk/international student you should always check advice issued by your own country. The appropriate government websites, embassy or high commission may be able to provide you with further information.

Students with Tier 4 visas are required to report a legal change of name to the UK Visa and Immigration authorities.

Your Mental Health

Identifying as trans, non-binary or questioning your gender can be very affirming, but it can also mean a lot of worry and this can affect your mental health. It can also feel stressful to think about how our friends and family are going to respond.

Trans people are more likely to be affected by mental health problems. Many trans people have poor mental health or experience mental distress and can find it more difficult to ask for or access the help that they need.

If you want to access support, counselling or advice there are services available to you at Trinity Laban and externally;

Trinity Laban Counselling Support is friendly and approachable, and free to all undergraduate and postgraduate students. You can find out more on our dedicated counselling support page.

Mermaids provide information about gender non-conforming people and have a helpline aimed at supporting transgender youth up to and including the age of 19. You can call them on 0800 801 0400. The Helpline is open Mon to Fri, 9am – 9pm (times may vary on Bank Holidays).

Gendered Intelligence runs a range of youth groups in London, Leeds and Bristol for young trans people, non-binary and questioning young people aged under 21*. They also run a peer-led support group in London for those aged 18-30.

Mind, the mental health charity can provide support on the phone, by text or email. They also have a specific page focusing on mental health support for LGBTQI+ people and how to access it.

Toilets and Changing Facilities

All students and staff are entitled to use toilets for the gender they identify with.

Faculty of Dance: All toilet and changing facilities at the Laban Building, except some disabled toilets, are currently either male or female.

Faculty of Music: All toilet and changing facilities at King Charles Court, except some disabled toilets, are currently either male or female.

Laurie Grove: Male, Female and non-gendered toilet facilities are available. Changing facilities are gendered.

Please note that conversations between student services and management to get students access to Gender Neutral Facilities are ongoing and students will be updated when these facilities do become more widely available.



If you have any concerns or questions about the facilities availble at Trinity Laban, accessing support, updating your documentation or any other aspect of your student experience please contact student services:


Information and terminology on this page was correct at the time of publishing. If you have suggestions on how to make this page more inclusive or have a suggestion about the language used please contact the student services team.