Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
Faculty of Music
King Charles Court
Old Royal Naval College
David Kam is a London-based movement artist and educator sharing embodied practices of connection from the lens of joy, wonder, and freedom. Blending the worlds of architecture, dance and spirituality, David pitches movement as an expression of party and protest to offer a space for others to find home in their bodies and to explore ways of moving together towards collective action and transgenerational healing. He collaborates with various leading institutions to offer uniquely curated wellness experiences.
As an educator, David currently lectures on the Bachelor and Master Programmes at Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance where he specializes in choreological studies based on the body of work developed by Rudolf Laban. Beyond academia, David offers movement masterclasses, workshops and retreats internationally since 2018. He also contributes his expertise in yoga to various movement communities including the Ferus Animi / Terra Nova collective.
From the lens of social justice, David founded kindredpacket, a grassroots movement uplifting East and South East Asian (ESEA) communities through culturally sensitive practices of wellbeing. As part of Britain’s East and South East Asian Network (the organization that initiated ESEA Heritage Month in the UK), he delivers Active Bystander Trainings across England and Wales. His work with queer communities include being a facilitator for We Create Space, a global platform advocating wellness for queer leaders and being on the advisory board for Rendez-Vous Dance, championing LGBTQIA+ stories, past and present through performance and education.
David’s research interests include
- the relationship between body and home
- queering theoretical and pedagogical praxis of movement
- Eastern philosophies of movement and spirituality
- movement as a social practice of embodied placemaking
Qualifications and awards
- BA (Hons) Architecture, University of Sheffield
- MA Dance Performance, Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance (Distinction)
- Specialist Diploma in Choreological Studies (Distinction)
- 2014 Sylvia Bodmer Award for Outstanding Achievement in Choreological Studies