Dance Requirements

See the table in our Applications page for the specific English language requirement for each programme. You should enclose a copy of your English language test certificate with your application form.

Music Requirements

International applicants whose first language is not English must provide evidence of a sufficient grasp of the English language (both spoken and written) to cope with the academic demands of the level of study for which they have applied. This is normally one of the following qualifications:

QualificationBMus, ISP and BAMMus and PGA
Trinity College London Integrated Skills in English (ISE)
at Level II
Integrated Skills in English (ISE) at Level III
IELTS 6.0 or higher 7.0 or higher
Cambridge Certificate of proficiency in
English/ Certificate in Advanced
English (CAE)
Certificate of proficiency in English at Grade B+
Pearson PTE Academic A minimum score of 51 A minimum score of 70

If you require a Tier 4 Student Visa, you will need to meet the UK Visas and Immigration requirements.

In certain circumstances the offer of a place may be conditional on an applicant undertaking additional English language tuition prior to and/or during their course. Failure to meet these conditions may result in the withdrawal of the applicant's offer.

English Language Support

English language support is provided for students whose first language is not English or for students who have a learning disability for e.g. dyslexia. These English language support classes are provided for students in addition to their courses. Classes are scheduled as part of your weekly timetable.

English Language Support is only available to students whose first language is not English and who are enrolled on the following courses/programmes:

  • BA (Hons) Contemporary Dance
  • BMus (Hons) Composition/Performance/Jazz
  • Independent Study Programme
  • Postgraduate Advanced Diploma
  • MMus
  • Diploma in Dance Studies
  • Postgraduate Diploma in Community Dance
  • MSc Dance Science
  • MA Choreography
  • MA Dance Theatre:  The Body in Performance
  • MA Creative Practice
  • MFA

Once enrolled on a course, you can access support from your EAP Tutor (English for Academic Purposes).This can be during timetabled classes, or 1-1 tutorials. Draft-checking of written assignments is also available, as well as help in any area where your level of English may be causing you problems.