Royal Greenwich – It’s Time!Wed 19 August 2020
Creative partners in the heart of Greenwich launch free events as part of summer festival
The University of Greenwich, Greenwich Students’ Union, Royal Museums Greenwich, Old Royal Naval College and Trinity Laban are offering a range of free events and activities as part of a borough-wide celebration of all things Greenwich.
The Royal Greenwich – It’s Time festival will feature special activities and offers for local people to enjoy before the end of September.
And the events organised by the Greenwich partners, which will begin next week, will have something for everyone, from family activities to expert-led sessions for local businesses.
On Saturday 29 August, several FREE events will take place in the grounds of the Old Royal Naval College, with no need to book, including:
- Trinity Laban’s Big Smoke Brass band performing two socially-distanced outdoor sets of brassy pop hits between 11am & 3pm
- Campus tours of the beautiful University of Greenwich. Departing from the Dreadnought building from 10am – 3pm
- From 27 – 29 August there will be a ‘Sound of the Community’ virtual concert in the historic Dreadnought Building – walk through and experience an immersive loudspeaker concert from 10am – 3pm
In addition, the partners are running:
- ‘How can we help?’ an information and networking event from university enterprise experts on supporting local businesses as they recover from Covid-19 (Wednesday 26 August, 6pm, Dreadnought Building. Book by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- From Tuesday 1 September, the Stephen Lawrence Gallery in the Stockwell Street library will open a window onto the university’s School of Design, starting with ‘A Hidden Oasis’, showcasing the changes to the building’ rooftop garden during lockdown
- Greenwich Students’ Union’s popular Lower Deck is reopening with a fantastic array of refreshing drinks and hot food plus a newly renovated garden area. Open Wednesday – Saturday: 12pm – 11pm and for the whole August Bank Holiday. Book to reserve a table
- Plus there are lots of free events and exhibitions from Royal Museums Greenwich, including the Insight Investment Astronomy Photographer of the Year 2019 and Faces of a Queen at the Queen’s House. For more information and to book go to the Royal Museums Greenwich website.
Councillor Danny Thorpe, Leader of Royal Borough of Greenwich, said: “Royal Greenwich – It’s Time is a way to celebrate our residents and thank all the key workers who have kept the borough going. It’s also a way for us to kick-start our borough’s economy again, inspiring confidence among our residents to get back on the high streets and explore local attractions on their doorstep.”
Royal Greenwich – It’s Time is running from 1 August to 30 September.
Find out more from Visit Greenwich or follow #ItsTimeRG