See 24 films from 5 continents at new festival this SeptemberWed 21 August 2019
The London International Screen Dance Festival (19-20 SEP) celebrates a wide range of films from the international dance community.London International Screen Dance Festival from Trinity Laban on Vimeo.
Curated by Trinity Laban’s Charles Linehan – one of Britain’s “classiest choreographers” (The Guardian) – the inaugural London International Screen Dance Festival will feature 24 films from 5 continents, including 5 World Premieres from the UK, France, Australia, and European Premieres from the UK, Korea, USA, Cuba.
Chosen from over 250 entries by a panel of industry experts (dance artists Zoi Dimitriou and Stephanie Schober, and AV specialist Ian Peppiatt), the dynamic programme presents the inventive and experimental integration of movement, choreography and the moving image across two evenings at the Laban Theatre (19 & 20 September) to champion new independent short films from around the world.
- Joowon Song’s A Town with a Blue Hill, a poetic portrayal of a historical neighbourhood in South Korea sentenced to death in the name of urban redevelopment
- Silent Imprints by Harry Brooks, which explores male fragility through strikingly original choreography within a stark industrial environment
- Stopgap Dance Company’s Stopgap in Stop Motion (Stephen Featherstone), where photographs of disabled and non-disabled performers come to life
- Sea Change – On Loss At Sea, a film by Trinity Laban’s own Lecturer in Dance, Lizzi Kew Ross, inspired by the landscape at Spurn lighthouse in Hull and the Cutty Sark’s maiden voyage
- Mitchell Rose’s And So Say All of Us, a chain love letter to dance from 52 seminal international choreographers including William Forsythe and Meredith Monk,commissioned by the Brooklyn Academy of Music in honour of Joseph V. Melillo’s 35 years of service as its executive producer
Charles Linehan, Reader in Choreography at Trinity Laban and Associate Artist with Dance4, Nottingham, says –
“I am thrilled to launch the inaugural London International Screen Dance Festival to celebrate a diverse range of films from the international community that integrate movement with the screen. The programme for 2019 offers an exciting and surprising mix of experimental films.”
If you are interested in dance, film or creative ways of thinking about movement, this new festival will give you plenty of food for thought and an unparalleled opportunity to see works from all over the globe.
London International Screen Dance Festival
Screenings 19.30h | SAT 19 – FRI 20 SEP 2019 | Laban Theatre, SE8 3DZ
Discussion with producer Gitta Wigro and guest artists 18:00 FRI 20 SEP
For full listings visit www.screendancelondon.com
Book your tickets now at our What’s On page