Skip to main content

London is a great place for students to live

Whether you choose our Halls of Residence or rent privately, we can help you find somewhere to live that suits your needs.

What are the options?

Before you start looking, you should decide what type of accommodation you would like to live in:

McMillan Student Village 512x375

Halls of Residence

The McMillan Student Village, privately run Halls of Residence, is located within easy walking distance of Trinity Laban and close to tube, train, and bus links. It's a wonderful environment in which to study, relax and make new friends. Beautifully designed with contemporary furnishing, all rooms are ensuite and offer broadband internet access. Security features include a 24-hour manned reception. Rooms range from single study bedrooms organised in cluster flats with a shared kitchen/diner to single studio apartments with their own mini-kitchen.

Find out more
student house 512x552

Shared Student Houses / Flats

Renting a shared house or flat is the best option if you want to live independently with friends or other like-minded students. Choosing private accommodation gives you the freedom to choose where you live, what facilities are important to you and how you want to spend your budget.

You can find further information and advice in the Private Rented Accommodation section of our website.


Overseas students

When looking for accommodation, you should try and visit the property or get a friend or future housemate to visit the property. If you are unable to do this, you can find some properties advertised which have been checked by a company for you. Spotahome provides multiple pictures and videos of properties and holds the first month’s rent until after you are satisfied with the state of the property on your arrival.

To find out more about house hunting, rental scams and more, download our Housing Guide.

Please note that while Trinity Laban can help you find accommodation, we cannot make arrangements on your behalf – for legal reasons, you will need to do this yourself.

Right to Rent

When renting from a private landlord, they are required to conduct a “right to rent” check on all new tenants, to make sure tenants have a right to be in the country.

As proof of your eligibility to rent you can get a letter of nomination from Trinity Laban Student Services. To request this please email with the address of the property you want to rent as well as the Landlord’s name and address.

The landlord or agent may still require other documents as proof of your right to rent. Your passport or Biometric Residence Permit are acceptable documents to show you have the right to rent.

If you are arranging a tenancy from overseas, you can agree on the tenancy in principle and show your documents in person when you arrive in the UK. Or the landlord may accept a letter of nomination from Trinity Laban before you arrive in the country. If you arrange a tenancy from overseas, we recommend that you ask a friend to visit the property before agreeing to anything.


Students are often asked for a guarantor when signing a tenancy agreement. This is someone who will pay for any damage, unpaid rent or any other costs not covered by a deposit. These typically need to be a UK-based friend or relative. Many students do not have such a person to be their guarantor.

Some landlords will accept 3, 6 or 12 months’ rent in advance instead. Many students cannot afford this. An alternative is to pay a company to act as your guarantor. Housing Hand are able to provide this service, see their website.

The cost of the service will be between 60-95 % of your share of the monthly rent. Housing Hand will rebate a percentage to students of their final tenancy period with Housing Hand dependent on the period of time they have used the service. For one year this is 15%, two years 30%, and three years 45%.


McMillan Halls of Residence

Jennifer Asare (Student Adviser, Faculty of Dance)
Tel: +44 (0) 20 8305 9342

Private Accommodation

Tel: +44 (0)20 8305 9350 or +44 (0)20 8305 4414

Please note: While the information and advice offered on this page is to the best of our knowledge accurate and up-to-date, we hold no responsibility or liability for any errors, omissions or inaccuracy in the information provided. Nor do we hold any responsibility for the content of any external sites hyperlinked to this page. It is your responsibility to know the law and your rights regarding renting a room or whole property of any kind – whether in University or College Halls of Residence, Private Halls of Residence, Solo Accommodation, Shared Housing or Lodging – and to take responsibility for your own decisions and consequently any arrangements made between you and a landlord, agent or other tenants.

Trinity Laban Housing Guide

This essential guide takes you through everything you need to know in order to find private accommodation.

Download the housing guide.

Two copies of the housing guide on a table