How Can I Use The Library?
There is currently no access to Laban Library and Archive due to the COVID-19 pandemic. However, QuickSearch for Libraries is available 24/7. We are adding more e-books to the Dance library catalogue, which are becoming accessible as quickly as possible. Access e-books via Moodle > Links menu > Library links > QuickSearch for Libraries. QuickSearch is about more than books, journals and their electronic equivalents. It includes collections of Dance videos, theses and much else.
What Services Are Available At Weekends?
During term time enquiries are answered 11-3 on Saturdays but not Sundays. AV Support is only available Monday-Friday.
During vacation AV Support and enquiries are not available at weekends.
What Can I Borrow And For How Long?
All Laban Library book loans have now been extended until 17th September 2020.
Unfortunately it is not possible to borrow AV equipment during the library closure. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further advice.
Physical return of library loans - graduating and deferring students
This procedure is for students who:
have already or are completing their studies in June or July, and for students who are deferring, and who live in South East London or can come to the Laban Building, Creekside, SE8 3DZ.
It is not for continuing students or students unable to come to the Laban Building.
We ask that continuing students keep their loans until they return to Trinity Laban buildings for their studies.
We are working on plans for the return of loans from graduating and deferring students who live in other parts of or outside the UK.
From Monday 22nd June, you or someone on your behalf can return books and other resources borrowed from Laban Library to the Laban Building in Creekside, London, SE8 3DZ:
- This facility is available between 9.00 and 17.00 every day, Monday to Sunday
- Returned items must be in clean, disposable, non-returnable bags, otherwise the items will not be accepted. Students are responsible for ensuring items are protected from rain, for example by taping the bag closed.
- Please label the bag with D (for the Laban / dance library) or M (for the Jerwood / music library), so that it is sent to the correct library for processing.
- You or someone on your behalf will ring the bell at the Creekside entrance to the Laban Building, and
- Wait for the Security Officer to come to the gate.
- The Security Officer will take the bag and will not issue a receipt.
- The bag will be placed in the Dance library for processing when library staff return to the building (it is currently envisaged that this will be in September, though this may change).
- Please email the relevant library (email@example.com or #firstname.lastname@example.org) to inform them you have returned your items.
- Staff will return your loans on their library system as soon as practical.
- A generic email will be sent, informing that all returned loans by then (a date after the return of library staff, as yet undetermined) have been removed from student library accounts.
- You will be asked to check your library account and inform us about any issues.
Are There Library Fines?
No fines will accrue during the period that the library is closed.
How Do I Renew My Books Remotely?
All Laban Library loans have now been extended until 17th September 2020, so you shouldn't need to renew your books. If your loan does not show this due date, please contact us and we will fix this.
When the library opens again:
Books can be renewed up to 5 times unless they have been reserved by another student/staff. You can renew your books by logging into your library account:
Go to the library catalogue homepage and click on 'Login' in the top-right hand corner of the page.
Log in with your usual username (e.g. Angelina.B12) and the password you set up upon registering with the library.
Once you are logged in, go to 'My portal' on the left-hand side of the page
Click on 'My loans' where you can check which books you have out. Select the books you wish to renew and press 'Renew', or simply 'Renew all'. Books become renewable 2 days before their due date.
How Do I Reserve A Book?
We appreciate that you may still place reservations for books on loan, even though we cannot supply you with physical books whilst the library remains closed. We monitor reservations and where practical and likely to have wide readership, we will consider purchasing e-book versions if they are available or suggest alternatives.
Only books that are already out on loan can be reserved. This will be clearly indicated on the library catalogue by either a red cross next to the book title, or the status of the book reading "On loan". To reserve a book:
- Log in to your account on the library catalogue.
- Search for the book you wish to reserve on the library catalogue and select it from the results list by clicking on the title.
- Click on the 'Reserve' button on the top right of the screen.
- Confirm the reservation by clicking on the 'Save/Reserve' button in the top right corner of the screen.
- You will be taken through to the reservations section of your account, where you will be able to see when copies of the book are due to be returned, as well as your position in the reservation queue. From here, you can also cancel any reservations if needed.
How Do I Change My Password?
The Laban Library Catalogue is on Trinity Laban's single sign-on system. Please use the same username and password as you use for Moodle.
You can change your password yourself in Microsoft Online. Please log in with your email address and current password. You will then be asked to set up an alternative email address and verification questions. A guide can be found on Moodle, in the Help Menu: IT FAQs and Guides for Students.
How Do I Create A List Of Library Resources And Email Them To Myself?
Log in to your account on the library catalogue.
Conduct your search (either on the 'Basic' or on the 'Advanced' search tabs).
From the results list screen, select either all the results by clicking the 'Select All/Clear All' box or individual ones by ticking the boxes next to the chosen entries.
Click on the 'Add to my catalogue' button on the top of the screen (It looks like a shopping trolley).
Click on 'My catalogue' (on the left of the screen) to view the resources you have saved in your trolley. Please note that the selected resources will be removed once you log out
In order to email a summary of the selected results click on the 'Select all/Clear All' box and click on the 'E-mail' button on the top of the screen.
Where Can I Get Help With Referencing?
The library produces online referencing guidelines, which can be accessed via the Laban Library and Archive Referencing section on Moodle. You will need your TL username and password to access this. If you cannot find advice on your particular referencing query, please ask a member of staff for help.
The Library Doesn't Have A Book (Or Other Item) I Need To Use. What Do I Do Now?
We endeavour to have all items on dance course reading lists available at Laban Library. There may however be a book or a journal you will want to use during your time studying at Trinity Laban, which the library will not have access to. In such cases, please contact Laban Library staff for advice.
Where Can I Get Help With Finding Resources?
Laban Library staff are working remotely and available to assist you during usual library opening hours. You can contact library staff by email to email@example.com; by telephone on 020 8305 9333 or by using Tawk.to live chat. In addition, it is possible to set up face-to-face meetings with Laban Library staff via Microsoft Teams. These links are also on the Laban Library catalogue home page and on our Moodle Laban Library information page.
Students can log into Moodle using their usual username/password to access a range of library and archive-produced guides for finding resources.
You Haven't Answered My Question!
If your question isn't answered here or elsewhere on the website, please contact us with your enquiry by emailing Librarians-Dance@trinitylaban.ac.uk or calling +44 (0)20 8305 9333.