One Dance UK is the national voice for Dance. The organisation provides networks for the profession, nurtures and encourages career development, provides information and guidance for the public and professionals and works to relieve poverty amongst dancers and their dependents.
The Healthier Dancer Programme is the leading advocate for dancer’s physical and psychological health. It provides dancers with advice and information on health, fitness and injury for dancers; and Healthy Dancer events for dance professionals, dance medicine and healthcare practitioners and scientists. In addition, The Healthcare Practitioners Directory is a national database of medical practitioners and complementary therapists with experience of working with dancers.
National Institute of Dance Medicine and Science (NIDMS) works to provide better and more affordable access to dance specific health care and dance science support services. It is a network of shared expertise and multidisciplinary partners.
International Association for Dance Medicine and Science (IADMS) promotes medical, scientific and educational activities aimed at enhancing the treatment and training of dancers. The ultimate goal is to improve dancers’ health, well-being and performance.
The Rudolf Nureyev Foundation Medical Website serves dancers and the medical and health professionals who care for them. It provides access to recent and archival articles from leading professionals; lists up-to-date research and conference proceedings, resources and information; and links to international specialist healthcare provision.
The Ballet Blog helps dancers to prevent and recover from injury by providing useful advice and information. Please be aware not all of the information provided on this site is free.
Beat is the UK’s only nationwide organisation supporting people affected by eating disorders, their family members and friends, and campaigning on their behalf. Beat provides helplines, online support and a network of UK-wide self-help groups to adults and young people in the UK.
Articles of Interest
- Upper Body Conditioning by Dance Informa Magazine
- Dance Fitness publication by IADMS
- Foam Rolling for Dancers by Dance Informa Magazine
- Stretching for Dancers publication by IADMS
- Screening in a Dance Wellness Program publication by IADMS
- Turnout for Dancers: Supplemental Training publication by IADMS
Injury Prevention & Injury Advice
- First Aid for Dancers publication by IADMS
- Warm Up and Cool Down for Dancers
- 10 Common Dance Injuries by Dance Teacher Magazine
- Why is Stretching so Important? by Dance Informa Magazine
- Stress Fractures and Spondylolysis by Dance Informa Magazine
- Sprains and Lateral Ankle Sprain by Dance Informa Magazine
- Top 10 Injury Prevention Tips by Dance Spirit Magazine
- Common Dance Injuries – Harkness Center for Dance Injuries
- Managing Joint Hypermobility publication by South West Music School
- Preventing Musculoskeletal Injury for Dancers publication by SHAPE (Safety & Health in Arts Production and Entertainment)
- Fuelling the Dancer publication by IADMS
- Sensible Eating for Performers publication by BAPAM
- Why Iron is Important for the Dancer publication by ISTD (the Imperial Society of Teachers of Dancing)
- The Importance of Water for the Dancer publication by ISTD
- Bone Health and Female Dancers publication by IADMS