Animate Orchestra offers young musicians in school years 5 to 13 opportunities to play together and create their own music in a ‘Young Person’s Orchestra for the 21st Century’.
What do we do?
Our members experience the musical teamwork of playing in an orchestra, while bringing their own ideas to how orchestras of the future might look and sound.
With specialist tutors and world-class musicians as mentors and guides, our courses are fun, sociable and musically adventurous. Members are from a wide range of cultural backgrounds and our music reflects their skills, knowledge and interests.
What do you need to take part?
To take part, you should:
- live or go to school in the London Boroughs of Lambeth, Lewisham, Royal Greenwich or Southwark;
- be in school years 5 – 13;
- play an instrument, of any cultural background and with any level of experience - we welcome young people with skills in music technology into our designated music technology section;
- ideally have access to your own instrument; and
- be motivated and enthusiastic about creating your own music.
There are three main 'tiers' to Animate Orchestra:
Taking place in each borough, these courses are delivered by local music hubs and are open to all, regardless of ability or musical experience. Find out when courses are taking place in your borough.
You may be invited to a Performing Ensemble course. These intermediate ensembles are recruited from the boroughs of Royal Greenwich and Lewisham (Animate Orchestra EAST) or Lambeth and Southwark (Animate Orchestra WEST).
For our most experienced members, Animate Artists provides a more creatively challenging experience for young musicians through longer term cross-arts collaborations, performances and events.