Animate Orchestra offers young musicians in school years 5 to 13 opportunities to play together and create their own music in a ‘Young Person’s Orchestra for the 21st Century’.
Our members experience the musical teamwork of playing in an orchestra, while bringing their own ideas to how orchestras of the future might look and sound. With specialist tutors and world-class musicians as mentors and guides, our courses are fun, sociable and musically adventurous. Members are from a wide range of cultural backgrounds and our music reflects their skills, knowledge and interests.
What is Animate Orchestra?
Find out more
Live at Trinity Laban - 26 March 2019
Animate Artists are joining forces with dancers from Trinity Laban’s Youth Dance Company to create a spectacular joint performance of new music and dance to headline at Live at Trinity Laban.
Animate Lewisham - 16 & 17 April 2019
Bonus Pastor Catholic College, Churchdown Site, Bromley, BR1 5PL
Animate Lambeth - 28 & 29 May 2019
Clapham Park Centre, Kingswood Road, SE2 4JW.
Animate Summer Performance Project - 9, 16, 23 & 29 June 2019
Laban Building Creekside SE8 3DZ | 9.30h–16.00h
To learn more about the types of courses, see the boxes below.
There are fees to attend an Animate course but bursaries are available; we never want cost to be a barrier to participation.
For more information, please see below:
General enquiries: email@example.com | 020 8305 4390
Mailing List: Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, the name and date of birth of your child and the instrument(s) that they play.
Or follow us on Twitter to see out latest announcements: @AnimateOrch
Taking place during school holidays, Animate Orchestra local courses are usually of 1 or 2 days duration and are open to all, regardless of ability or musical experience. Led by specialist tutors and world-class musicians, they introduce a range of creative skills (such as composition and improvisation) and musical skills (such as listening to and playing with others). At the end of each course the ensemble shares the music made in an informal performance to friends and family.
To take part, you should:
- be in school years 5 – 9
- play an instrument of any kind and with any level of experience - we also welcome young people with skills in music technology;
- ideally have access to your own instrument; and
- be interested in creating your own music.
Bookings are now open for Animate Lewisham, taking place on 16 & 17 April 2019 at The Fellowship, Randlesdown Road, Bellingham, SE6 3BT. Course fees are as follows:
- £20 (full fee)
- £10 (50% sibling discount)
- £6 (if in receipt of Pupil Premium)
Bookings will open shortly for Animate Lambeth, taking place on 28 & 29 May at Clapham Park Centre, Kingswood Road, SE2 4JW.
Animate Artists courses bring together experienced young musicians in exciting collaborations with other artists and art forms, taking place on a project-by-project basis at weekends and during school holidays. These courses normally last for a minimum of 4 days.
This year, Animate Artists will be joining forces with dancers from Trinity Laban’s Youth Dance Company to create a spectacular joint performance of new music and dance. The performance will be the featured headline act at the Live at Trinity Laban show on Tuesday 26 March 2019.
Who can be an Animate Artist?
Applications to take part in this project are now closed, but please get in contact if you would like to be kept informed of future projects.
To take part, you should be:
- a creative musician who plays any instrument (instruments include all aspects of music technology)
- playing at roughly grade 3 standard or higher (although it is not a pre-requisite to have taken any grade exams)
- in school years 8-13
- able to use your creativity, knowledge, and skills to push artistic boundaries
- interested in musical collaborations with other art forms
What will you do as an Animate Artist?
- Work closely with a team of typically 20 – 25 other Animate Artist musicians and other young artists to create a brand new piece of performance art
- Be supported by an artistic team of professional musicians and other collaborators
- Take part in a series of creative sessions to shape your ideas and get more comfortable playing together with the other musicians and young artists
- Be part of a high-profile and public performance at the end of the process
History of Animate Orchestra
Animate Orchestra began in 2011 and since then has grown and developed. To read more about Animate, please click below: